Greg Bennett died.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Isn't he the one who walked into the Sears building, asked about acquiring the rights to the Silvertone brand, was sent upstairs, where some guy at a desk sold him the name for some absurdly low price, like three hundred bucks or something?

Yamaha 350

Sorry to hear that. I had a Samick UM-3 that I loved. He seemed like a great guy.
I loved the fact that he was so humbled to have guitars with his name on them. He made improvements and cane up with a new way to make semi hollows. He innovated a lot of things too. His Samick guitars were cheap because they were not made in America. But quality was 100 percent great. And the guitars go for cheap on the used market.

ant_riv

Supporting Member
I agree Greg was a true gentleman.
He will be greatly missed.

I first met him in the late 70s.
He was definitely humbled when Samick approached him to do the Greg Bennett line.

derekd

Supporting Member
I saw that yesterday.

He certainly had an impact on our world though many may not realize it.

musicman1

Sorry to hear this. In 88 or 89 he was my Tascam rep. Never even knew he played guitar until the Samick line came out. Super nice guy. While my store at the time didnt support samick a friends did and they were really good gtrs for the money. Came close buying a couple of models. The semi hollows were nice. Sorry that i didnt.

Last edited:

Nebakanezer

He came into the store I worked at in the late 90s, was such a gentleman! He was representing Samick and did a clinic. He was really good with instrumental Beatle tunes!

Yamaha 350

When I first got really serious about playing the guitar even though I had guitars in the house. My first guitar was when I was 6 years old. Electric. So anyway I found the Samick Greg Bennett guitar line. They became on of my favorites. And yes I love Yamaha guitars. But I watched every Greg Bennett and Scott Grove video I could find. Greg taught me a lot about guitars. Scott Grove taught me some and about different brands, Pollyweb strings, Johnson Amps, etc..

I like the fact that Greg's guitars are cheap. But sadly over looked. His jazz boxes was 700 dollars. His Ethan Heart guitars are expensive new. His sold bodies Samick guitars were 600 or less and just as great as any other expensive brands.

I sure his family is sadden by the news. And I am too. I love my Franklin strap by his company.

strumnhum

One of my guitars is a Greg Bennett Samick. Bought used when I started playing again. Still one of my favorites. Didn't know a lot about the person, other than what I read, all indications are he was a fine individual.
RIP

Trending Topics