1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Koch - Stevie Ray Vaughan style

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by jzucker, Dec 27, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Just wanted to put in a plug for Greg Koch's SRV instructional tape. Most of what he shows you could be gleaned from the SRV CDs themselves and though you probably should be transcribing SRV from the source, I'm very impressed with Greg's playing and analysis of that style. Some might find the tape a bit cornball but I found Greg very personable and humorous. He breaks down things in quite a bit of detail and while SRV's style was not rocket-science, I think Greg obviously put in a lot of thought and time into this.

http://elderly.com/videos/items/49-DVD320257.htm

2. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

He also did the sampler CD for Tom Wheeler's most recent book on the Stratocaster. Nice snippets of him aping various people's style and, as always, his great personality comes through on the dialog.

3. I think Greg is one of the best teachers around. His DVDs have meat in them. The DVDs from Big Timers always seem to be just a big advertisment for themselves. I like his splashes of humor and he is one hell of a guitar player. He came to a local guitar store here and just smoked the neck of the guitar. Ive learned lots of licks off his DVDs.
    t

4. jzucker

What other DVDs does he have out?

5. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Monster player. Funny guy. Thanks for mentioning this tape.

6. glendrix

glendrix Member

He has one of his own stuff, same format as the SRV stuff, plays with band and then breaks down the sig lick of his tune. Called Greg Koch Guitar Gristle. I dig it alot and picked up a lotta little nuances to his style. He's got some B Bender stuff, chickin pickin etc..

Got his usual schitick and lots of slightly twisted stuff. I don't mind his schtick and actually is pretty funny at times. Great attitude and great player.

7. jzucker

Thanks for the heads up. I'll pick that up.

While on the subject of instructional vids, Anything else you'd recommend?

8. glendrix

glendrix Member

I've heard your stuff and have your Sheets of Sound, you don't need much:eek:

I'm a sucker for instructional video's (guess I'm a visual learner) but very few I have actually learned stuff from. I'd say for me, the Don Mock video, Steve Trovato has a Counrty guitar video that smokes (learned just about every lick off that and use alot) he has two, one has country sounds how to set up pedals, pretty basic stuff that I already knew and used but the lick video is the one to get for country stuff. Tomo's is great (although I wish he'd do another focusing on the slap stuff), Scott Henderson's one where he talks about application of scales (can't remember the name of that one but he has two) and I like EJ's first one. I really need to get Emily Remler's cause I heard great stuff but I just can't seem to find it anywhere.:jo

Oh yeah forgot the guy who played with Merle Haggard, jazz cat from Dallas, Clay?? I can get his name later if you want. Talks about how to mix jazz stuff in country setting. Awesome stuff, able to steal a little but kinda outta my league. You'd probably dig it.

Those are the main ones off the top of my head that I learned and incorporated some stuff. There are a few others I like to watch for inspiration, I usually watch the Grissom stuff before a gig just cause I really dig his style.

Really right now I am using some of Tomo's stuff from his video, your book and also Steve Khan's pentatonic stuff as part of my daily routine.

Hope that helps.

9. jzucker

Thanks. I should pick up Tomo's video too. Have you seen the tonefest video? How's that for an instructional video? Tell me more about Steve Khan's pentatonic book?

Email me offline. I might have something for you...

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Teaching and playing are two very different disciplines. Great players do not always make for great teachers.

11. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Clint Strong

David

12. glendrix

glendrix Member

No haven't seen the Tonefest video. Guess I need to get it.

The Khan book was recommended to me by a jazz player locally. He knows my style, been playing for many years but struggle playing over changes. I have the Pentatonic book and the chord Khancepts is on it's way here. Basically, he takes two slightly modified pentatonic scale shapes and provides applications and exercises. He plays an example over some changes with several bars of trad jazz type playing and then shifts gears to his pentatonic approach and it's got a totally different vibe and still works over the changes. I am only a week into it so not sure where it will take me but it's an eye opener for me and something I'll be able to use and incorporate on gigs. Not really striving to be a traditional jazz player too late for that( I dig guys that incorporate jazz into other genres like Gatton, Campilongo etc..) but I need to be able to play comfortably over changes so the Khan stuff seems to work well for me. Again, I know you got the chops and the knowledge so not sure how much you could gain from the approach, although the guy who recommended it to me swears by it and he is a hell of a player too.

I'll email ya shortly:eek:

13. glendrix

glendrix Member

yep that's the guy. Thanks.

14. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member

I don't know whether it's too basic for you, but I'm enjoying Jim Kelly's Guitar Workshop. You can check a PDF of the songs here:

Kelly

15. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Hey Jack,

I was at Tomo's clinic at Tone Merchants and got a lot out of it. There was a lot of stuff to THINK about as opposed to specific excercises to learn. It was a great window into Tomo's style, practice routines, and general take on playing guitar. He's a great instructor. He almost tries to steer you away from focusing on theory and technique while playing (always emphasizing the importance of learning it ----- just not worrying about it while playing---- more listening to rhythm and "Colors").

It was a great clinic and I can only guess that the DVD holds some information that you'll find valuable. Not to mention, It's packed with some fantastic live playing by a monster player.

Hope that helps!
    Rick