Grendel Dead Room

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bhap2, Apr 20, 2008.

1. bhap2

bhap2 Member

This is my 84 maple top esprit with a SD JB & Jazz Through my Fuchs into the dead room with an Emi Red White & Blues. Altharax BT. I hope the speaker opens up as it breaks in. Still experimenting with mics/placement. Does anyone have any advice about using an ISO Cab?
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6472442

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

No advice for the iso cab. Did want to say that you have some nice tone there. Really nice recording of the guitar. Sounds really good.

3. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

VERY NICE! Great tone and playing! I have been thinking about a Dead Room for low volume rehearsals myself. This clip isn't helping me resist the urge! Sorry I can't offer any advice except that this sounds pretty killer right now! As for breaking in the speaker, why not take advantage of the Dead Room for that purpose and run a loop at high power through the speaker with the DR closed for a couple hours? I've found that to get most speakers a good 95% of the way there.

4. bhap2

bhap2 Member

Thanks for the advice. The reason I got this was low volume rehearsals. My co-op board was getting ready to throw me out. By the way, this was the Esprit with maple top Seymour jazz and jb from Fuchs into Grendel into e-mu 1820m

5. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

How does it sound re-amplified back out into the room at the lower volumes required? Is it better than just using the master volume or a traditional attenuator?

The problem I have is how low volumes make distortion tones buzzy and too bright. I've tried everything from amp EQ'ing to different speakers/cabs to a half dozen different attenuators to master volumes to pedals to modelers and nothing seems to work all that well. I've come to the conclusion that you just have to move some air to get the smoothing effects of a hard-working speaker. But, I've never liked closed-back cabs and the Grendel obviously has to be "closed" in order to attenuate. Some speakers do fairly well in a closed cab and some don't. But, I find that all speakers need some freedom to vibrate, apparently in order generate the back-EMF required to smooth out distortion tones. In a closed box, the speaker may be too severely damped. Then, there are the mic, mic placement and re-amping issues to deal with. So, I wonder if you lose as much as (or more than) you gain with all of those factors. Whatcha' think?

6. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

7. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

My issue with the dead room is that as soon as you close the top, you are completely changing the air space characteristics on the front of the speaker which is for sure cause tonality changes.

Not saying that's good or bad, just might take a speaker that you know and love and change it's tone, quite drastically in fact considering your taking the air-space of a whole room and and changing it to the air space of what... 1/4 cu foot?

8. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Wouldn't that be more of an issue with ISO boxes in general?

9. bhap2

bhap2 Member

I'm starting to get mic placement dialed in a little better. You can get a great tone out of a Fuchs at low volumes, but when I use the Dead Room I am as about as loud as an acoustic guitar. I just recorded a clean sample of my Fuchs through the grendel. Check out my sig.