Greta Van Fleet?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by That70'sbro, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

I've heard plenty about those cases. The Fogerty case, which you seem to enjoy repeating as if it were just automatically absurd somehow, was about a specific song, not whether he sounded "too much like himself" i.e. CCR and in this case he wasn't the copyright holder of the CCR tune. Fogerty won the case and the analysis regarded the 2 songs in question, not whether he had something as nebulous as a "similar style" to CCR obviously.

Your understanding of the law mirrors your lack of understanding of music more generally it would seem.

And again, please try to calm down and refrain from using all of that potty language.

Thank you in advance.

2. Ron_R

Ron_R Member

3. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

You mentioned legal action previously. Saying something has a "zep vibe" or vaguely recalls the mood of some other song and the singer is Plantish is simply irrelevant legally. I am pretty sure everyone in here agrees that Greta sounds a lot like Zep in many ways. But this in and of itself happens all the time in music.

Do you know how many Doom bands recall Sabbath with Ozzy? How about Mark Whitfield and George Benson?

Please don't feel obligated to actually reason it through.

4. Ron_R

Ron_R Member

Please don't feel obligated to know what you're talking about. I'm sure you don't, but you seem convinced.

So are you a Lawyer? Or a Harmony and Melody expert? Or a Psychologist? Or all three?

Oh and btw, when you sound almost exactly like Led Zep, your songs that you say you wrote sound almost exactly like songs written by Led Zep, to the point where you can sing the Led Zep song in a different key in the background, you just *might* have a problem. Especially if you say you aren't a Led Zep tribute band.

5. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Again, you have failed to grasp the basics.

They are comparing specific songs and cognizable parts within them i.e. "The trial focused on detailed analyses of chords and notes"

I know this will come as a surprise to you but if your ear were trained enough to do this in the case of the Greta and Zep songs you cited, you wouldn't find enough overlap for a court to even consider your point for a moment.

6. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

I trained as a lawyer as well as a musician (degrees, work and academia in both). Given your very approximate understanding of the arguments here, I would suggest you bone up on both but maybe start with "detailed analyses of chords and notes" as it is more fun for most people.

jpage likes this.
  7. Ron_R

Ron_R Member

But your're an expert on this legal process are you? LOL. You fail to grasp the basics, sir.

8. Dale007

Dale007 Member

Hopefully we can get back to a discussion of the band.
    In my mind, I'm pulling for the singer (and guitar player to a lesser degree) to find a more personal style. Lots of singers have the same tone and very similar voices to each other, so no surprise there - it's the inflections that make it sound SO much like Plant.
    I like the idea of vintage throwbacks, it's pretty cool...I'd just like to see them become them.

Ron_R likes this.
  9. Ron_R

Ron_R Member

What does "trained as a lawyer, as well as a musician mean"? Do you actually work in the Legal or Music profession right now or only pretend on a website? Are you licensed to practice law anywhere currently?

Btw, I'm not a lawyer, and have no intention of suing anyone. Again, you seem to be taking this much to seriously. Are you a member of the band or something? A cousin twice removed is a roadie in the band?

10. Ron_R

Ron_R Member

I agree. In the live clips on Youtube the lead singer has the same stance, facial expressions, hand movements and inflections as Plant did in his heyday.

11. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

It means I went to music school and law school at different points in my life. I went on to work and do academic work with both at various points as well, sometimes more one than the other depending on the period. If you want to PM me we can have this conversation directly or by voice instead of wasting space in a Greta Van Fleet thread.

The fact that you regard it as crazy that someone might actually have put in the time to understand something before mouthing off about it speaks volumes about your own standards.

jpage likes this.
  12. Ron_R

Ron_R Member

I don't think it's crazy. I just don't believe you as genuine. Your condescending demeanor speaks volumes about your own standards. You come across as a complete BS artist with a passive aggressive condescension about you. Not someone I would chose to surround myself with.

I made a tongue in cheeck comment and you took it way too seriously and don't seem to want to back off. I don't think you have any understanding of the topic at hand.

13. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Calling something passive-aggressive doesn't make it so. I would suggest that you look up a definition and mull it over for a while.

I am actively and directly stating that you have misapprehended the law which you previously invoked on more than one occasion and have no idea what you are discussing more generally. That's not passive in the slightest.

You didn't simply make a tongue in cheek comment either; you made a series of completely false statements about the law and its relevance here and only when forced to eat your words, retreated to squealing about me being 'passive aggressive' and all the rest.

Greta Van Fleet is 'guilty', like many artists, of being very influenced by one band's sound. It happens a lot and I gave you many examples (an entire genre of 'doom metal' shares huge similarities with Ozzy era Sabbath as does Mark Whitfield with George Benson, Schofield with Robben Ford etc).

You have made it clear that you don't like Greta doing this, fair enough. Now it's probably time for you to run along and discuss something you do like (and possibly understand a little better) somewhere else.

jpage likes this.
  14. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I haven't got around to checking these guys out just because of the comments on them. I finally got around to it and I think they're pretty cool. I'm not sure how much I will end up listening to them, but I don't really care if they were their influences on their sleeve.... they're young dudes playing rock n' roll. That's pretty cool to me.

tribalfusion and Davy like this.
  15. Phila67

Phila67 Member

I think we are perhaps too critical of rock-n-roll/and guitar oriented blues. Seems like the constant criticism is "same old tired pentatonic licks" or x artist is too much like x and they or he/she is "not doing anything new". But to me same could be said for any new artist be it rap, r & B or pop, or the modern "Ukele soul singer type" (oh no, out comes the ukele...AGAIN!). We are going on about 20 years now with the ukele vocal thing and no one is really bagging on that as being tired or uninspired.

I am totally cool with GVF, especially if it motivates younger kids to take up rock and roll.

tribalfusion and Davy like this.
  16. MrX

MrX Member

Please refrain from clouding this discussion/debate with logic.

Neenja likes this.
  17. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

No one sings for the first 60 seconds. What are you referencing exactly?

18. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

You're right, there is no singing in the first 60 seconds. He's referring to the guy who made the video using "gay" and "lesbian" as disparaging slurs within seconds of opening his mouth? I'm pretty sure he said that, but now you're just getting your back up about EVERYTHING.

19. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Accusing a guy of using disparaging slurs in the first 20 seconds and there's no speech for 60 seconds so it reads like an accusation of the band.

I'd say you're the one with the problem here but we can always let the moderators sort that out.

What are you referencing after that?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    jpage likes this.
  20. chandra

chandra Member

A musical group of twenty year olds are playing music that they've been greatly influenced by...why all the hate? I'm rooting for this band, and look forward to seeing how they evolve. Amazing vocals, great production, and a bit of flair for live performances.

When I was their age (not too long ago, but damn well feels forever), I proudly wore my musical influences on my sleeve. Took awhile to grow into my own, but I'm happy I went down the path that I did, "borrowed" Marr riffs and "loaned" Page licks and all. Whether it's Rap, Jazz, Blues or classic rock, can we not be happy that in 2018, there's a family of young men who are able to carve out a career doing something that they're very passionate about? Wishing Greeta all the best. Just don't be like Wolfmother...

Davy and tribalfusion like this.
  21. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

It definitely does not read like an accusation of the band. He was pretty clear in what he was saying. It was against the guy who made the video, NOT your precious band. But you're so prepared to be on the defensive that you took it that way.

Ron_R likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.