Gretchen Carilson Gets 20 Million for Sexual Harrasment

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 1radicalron, Sep 6, 2016.

1. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Can't do it, currently finishing up a brief in support of a motion for summary.

EricPeterson likes this.
  2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

FTW.

mdrake34 likes this.
  3. clamflatslim

clamflatslim Member

can't believe ANYONE is defending or making excuses for roger.dopey f**ks.

Zezozose, Roark, marktweedy and 2 others like this.
  4. morlll

morlll Member

Nicer than Marc Maron eh.

marktweedy and A-Bone like this.
  5. morlll

morlll Member

There is that.

6. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Member

No, but does it warrant $40mill? I think that's what you're getting here.

7. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Member

Let's be honest, most of these female anchors are hired primarily due to their looks. Not saying they don't have talent at what they do but why are they getting better and better looking?

Not saying it's ok that she was harassed but that on air stuff you just have to take, especially since you got the job because of your looks. She's known because of her looks, not because of her mind.

The networks should start hiring based on brains and communication skills only and these pretty woman will wish they were back being harassed and making millions again.

These old ugly rich f**ks who hit on the young ones make me sick btw.

8. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

I have very conflicting feelings on this whole ordeal.

First off I don't believe that anyone should go through what Carlson did.
    That being said, I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who works at a corporation that degrades women (not to mention other minorities), but suddenly has a problem when it is pointed towards themselves.

For the males who fall on the side of 'she was asking for it', would you find that to be an acceptable excuse if your male boss told you what to wear and then treated you the way Ailes treated Carlson?
    Would that change your perception of what constitutes an acceptable settlement figure?

9. Devnor

Devnor Member

Carlson has a degree from Stanford and is an accomplished classical violinist.

Roark likes this.
  10. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

I think it's probably fair to say of her that she's not an idiot, but she plays one on tv. Given how tightly Ailes controlled his newsroom, one starts to wonder whether he was constructing a fantasy world for his target audience, or for himself. Either way: ick.

11. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Ironically she studied 'Organizational Behavior' at Stanford.

I'm sure there are plenty of women who graduated from Stanford and can play an instrument, BUT would never be allowed in a Miss America pageant, so I'm not so sure the poster is completely wrong.

12. morlll

morlll Member

So she should have her phone tapped by her creepy slimy POS boss. I don't know what you are saying.

A-Bone likes this.
  13. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Gretchen only got $20 million. And while that seems like a lot of money to us punters who only make $2500 a week, top network personalities make a lot of money, so one should expect that a settlement involving on-the-job sexual harassment of a TV personality would be for a lot of money.

14. Devnor

Devnor Member

She was a soloist in various orchestras. Most Miss Americas go on to be role models for young women. Obviously Mrs Carlson has had a successful career until the whole sexual assault thing happened. Not really her fault. IDK, maybe you just hate successful women that don't share your political ideology.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Hard to say. Depends on how the settlement is structured. If she can go right back to work someplace else (and just has to refrain from comment about certain matters) and make more money, this is a pretty good score.

This settlement could in fact be bad for others hoping to slipstream off of her. Now, someone else has to get out front and do the lifting - individuals who may not have cases as well documented, etc.

But think how much 21st Fox needs to set aside to wrap up all the nastiness that Ailes and his buddy Bill O caused, as there are bound to be many others.

16. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I suspect the amount is so large to get her to agree not to talk about ANY. THING. that goes on behind the scenes at Faux News.

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  17. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Member

Like I said, I'm sure she's talented, but so are a ton of not so attractive women out there. These networks are hiring for looks as long as they meet other requirements.

18. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Member

I guess my issue is with lawsuits in general. They are ruining the country. Doctors are nothing like they used to be, as far as the care they provide, and more expensive than necessary because they pay huge insurance premiums to protect themselves. I'll get back track now. Sorry.

19. 9520575

9520575 Member

I actually knew a female on air person at Fox News. She wasn't that happy there. That's how far I'll go..

QRSS and A-Bone like this.
  20. Devnor

Devnor Member

Greta had a good run on FOX.

What you are saying is just how the world works. A pleasing appearance can be the edge when looking for a job. I was recently denied an audition for a band because my hair was not long enough. Tough luck.