Gretchucate me !

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Axeaholic, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

I want some info on this guitar :

[​IMG]

It's a Gretsch 6128t looks lovely, but I know very little about Gretsches

Question 1 : Seymour Duncan, TV Jones, GFS make a Filtertron type pickup, how do the standard pickups sound on these ? Is it worth going aftermarket ?

Questions 2 : Allot of people put Adjustomatic bridges on these, does a regular Gibson bridge ( Tuneomatic ) fit on these fine ?

Questions 3 : There are some people who compare them to P-90 Les Pauls, is it a fair comparison ?

2. pitner

pitner Member

I just got a 6128TCG Duo Jet. The tone is really unique to this guitar and to my ear sounds nothing like a P90 but more like a Ric toaster top pup but not as jangley. All Gretsch tone and a great guitar for any player IMHO. The build quality on mine is perfect with no flaws at all. Mine is bone stock and I'm keeping it that was as I did single coil pups. Mine also has the melita bridge with bigsby trem and stays in tune without problems.

3. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Have a look around Audion - it's a Duo Jet - David Gilmour plays one as do many famous pros. The stock PUP's (usually Filtertrons or TV Jones Classics) are simply fabulous, so forget other PUP's, they'd just ruin it. There're made for a moveable bridge so forget tuneomatics. One of the best and most versatile guitars money can buy. Light weight, comfortable, well balanced, a work of art.
    Need I say more :AOK

4. Axeaholic

thanks a bunch guys ! keep'm coming

5. GregoryL

GregoryL Member

I have one just like the one pictured - great guitar stock IMO, but a lot of guys swear by the TV Jones classics.

6. TheHog107

TheHog107 Member

Gretsch's are fantastic guitars. You really can't compare the sound to other guitars. I have 11 others and non sound like my Gretsch. I have the 6118 Anniversary model.

Just as a note, my Gretsch came with a "String Spacer" bridge like the one in the picture. I didn't like the bridge because it developed a vibration/rattle sound. So I swapped out to a bar bridge I bought from Proteus on the Gretsch Forums who makes great bridges. Got rid of the rattle and gave me more sustain and snap to my tone.

7. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

It depends on when it was made, but if it's recent the only thing I would do would be to install TV Jones Filter'tron classics if it doesn't already have them. Also, height adjustment is criticalwith Filter'trons to get the best out of them. You may have to put little shims under each end of the pickup but it's worth it. Get 'em nice and close to the strings, esp the bridge pickup.

Oh, and yes I'd put a Gibson style TOM bridge on it. I don't know which one fits that base but one of them will. I like 10-52 strings on my Gretsches - some prefer 11-50 but I like the tone of the lighter trebles but the resistance of the heavier bass strings.

8. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

It looks good... the only pups I would use are stock or TV Jones... thing is, that I personnally, don't like TV Jones... I bought a Setzer and when I brought it home and compared it to my Filtertron equipped guitars I have the tone harsh, brittle and entirely too bright... took the Setzer back and traded it for a White Falcon... The thing with stock Filitertrons is, that like the Gibson PAFs of old, they aren't exactly consitant... each guitar I've had with them sounded a little different; some a little hotter, some a little sweeter, etc.. SO, my advice to you would be to compare the tone to another Gretsch that has the TV Jones and see what you like

9. 909one

909one Member

Those pickups sound pretty different from p-90's.
    P-90's are usually very mid forward, hot, agressive.
    Filtertrons are lower output, chimey, bright, articulate... almost scooped mids abit.
    IMO the Filtertron is heart if the Gretsch Sound. I you want it to sound like a Gretsch, don't switch those out for anything but TV jones Replacements.
    They are worth the money IMO, if you do switch them out.
    I pretty much had that exact same guitar, and my only complain was that the neck pickup got muddy and un-usable in higher volume things. I bet the TV's would clear that up though.
    The Space Roller Bridges are the worst of the Gretsch bridges IMO, someone mentioned the Proteus bar bridge... I would do that... or a tune-o-matic if you want more flexibilty.

10. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Had one myself, nice guitars but I decided to keep my Rev Horton Heat and sold off the Jet. See my answers below your questions:

Question 1 : Seymour Duncan, TV Jones, GFS make a Filtertron type pickup, how do the standard pickups sound on these ? Is it worth going aftermarket ?

On the Fender era of the Gretsch's (2003 and beyond approximately) the Stock HS Filltertron's are not all that bad a sounding pickup. They're a little more like a standard humbucker, a little less vintage Filltertron jangle, surprisingly good units in their own right. That being said, I WANTED that vintage Jangle sound and installed TV Jones Classics. I also tried out the Magnatron (like a phat P-90 sounding humbucker filtertron thingie) and a Powertron which is a hot-rodded Classic that's more in line with your normal humbucker. All good, they all have their own purposes, pick your sound and move out. And TV is a class act, you buy from them and they'll let you swap stuff around, try this and that out, etc; some of the best folks in the business... Oh, and the RHH comes stock with TV Classics like a lot of the higher end offerrings of the Gretsch line-up; for better or worse of course.

Questions 2 : Allot of people put Adjustomatic bridges on these, does a regular Gibson bridge ( Tuneomatic ) fit on these fine ?

The Space Control bridge you see there is next to worthless, throw on a TOM and you're all set. Better tone, better intonation, someplace to rest your hand, etc. The
    purists tend to not like these things, but for me it's a issue of whether they WORK or not, and the SC bridges just do not really get the job done in my opinion.

Questions 3 : There are some people who compare them to P-90 Les Pauls, is it a fair comparison ?

NO, Filltertrons have their own sound and thing going; more like Gibson Mini-Humbuckers than anything but with a little more depth and jangle at least to my ears. Now for a P-90 sounding Gretch pickup there are their Hi-Lo's which are big fat single coils that you found in a lot of 60's guitars that were designed to be the same size as the Filltertrons. They have their own thing going on too, I kind of like them myself but not enough to chase a guitar with them installed (example below):

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6119-1962HT&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

My recommendations for a first Gretsch; Jet's are a great way to go, get one with a Bigsby and become a convert, install locking tuners (I perfer Planet Waves myself, cheaper and tighter gears than the Spertzels on my RHH) and rock on. Give the stock pickups a good try out and then get a short height TV Classic, Powertron or whatever and you're all set. Head over to the Gretsch Discussion Pages if you want more detail and info, lots of Gretsch-o-Maniacs over there that can get into all the detail.

I've bought from Joel at Shanghai Music and ask him about the availability of B list guitars and you might save some bucks.

Good luck!

11. Axeaholic

Awesome post, thank you so much for the help guys !!! this forum rules ! :)

12. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

No problem, good luck!

13. Axeaholic

- So is the standard tunomatic of my ES-339 a good fit ? do I need to get a special one ?
    - One of the tones I love on Gretsches is really that vintage Gretsch tone, is that a bit far removed from the regular filtertrons ?

14. drolling

drolling Member

+1 on everything that Drew's said. TV Jones is a class act - He actually talked me out of buying his pickups for my DeArmond 2000-loaded Gretsch Electromatic.

I was so impressed with his integrity that the next guitar I bought came from the factory his "Classics" (FliterTron clones).

Recent pre-Fender Gretsches did have awful pickups, but if you're buying new, give the stock guitar a chance before swapping them out. SC bridges are pretty funky, tho'. Almost anything's better. My Electro has a TOM & my 6118 has a bar bridge which doesn't intonate as well, but helps to deliver that 'Great Gretsch Sound' and works really well with a Bigsby.

Those Bigsbys are a part of the tone recipe (mo' TWANNNG), so, again like Drew recommends, go with one of those rather than a hard tail.

As he said, the boys @ Gretsch Discussion Pages are a very helpful bunch when it comes to making informed choices & Joel at Shanghai will get you a great guitar at a great price.

I played teles & les pauls for years & years, but Gretsches have their own unique feel & tone. When I'm not playing my National steel (resophonic), the first guitar I grab is a Gretsch!!

15. rcargs96

rcargs96 Member

AA, I just picked up a 6128 and am very pleased. It's got the Dynasonics in it and I'm not at all interested in swapping them out for anything else. Great neck and feel.

16. tenbender

tenbender Supporting Member

This is my 1958 Firebird, I prefer the sound as to a Les Paul, much more open. My only wish is the neck would be chunkier, a little thin for me, but it sounds incredible.

[​IMG]

17. reverber8

reverber8 Member

I’ve owned a 2007 6128T-TVP Power Jet for well over a year now. I love my Jet and it’s been my #1 since I got it but that might be changing since my girlfriend gave me a new Jazzmaster AVRI for my birthday present a few weeks ago. Still in honeymoon phase with the JM and all its new glory.

The Jet is an amazingly versatile guitar. The fit and finish is top notch and it plays wonderfully. The TV Jones Powertrons are stunning and sing but can also a growl like a P90 while retaining all that Filtertron sparkle. I’ve always been a single coil kinda guy but I'm so digging these TV Jones pickups. It also has the requisite Bigsby which is a big part of the sound and is a necessity on any Gretsch IMHO. Some additional upgrades include Sperzel locking tuners, Switchcraft pots and switches, fixed/pinned Tunematic bridge and strap locks which are some great modern improvements that take this guitar to the next level. The chambered body makes it very light and resonant with a nice unamplified sound but plug it in and turn it up for the big WOW factor.

Iffin you wanna hear what the Power Jet sounds like, check my band’s brand new website which just went live. The song “Funny” is all Power Jet. No other guitars were tracked on this song. My other guitar player and I both used the Jet on this song which just seemed to fit the best.

http://www.toomuchsaturn.com

I own another Gretsch too. My 1st is a 2004 6120DSW which has Dynasonics and is a great guitar too, just not as versatile as my Jet. I’ve got a bunch of guitars and nothing sounds like Gretsch. They really live up to their company motto “that great Gretsch sound” and you need one! Here's a photo of mine:

[​IMG]

18. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

With the caveats that tone is subjective and that I do recognize the build quality involved... Am I the only one who DOESN'T like TV Jones pups? I know there are people who are happy with stock and not interested in swapping as a result, but I don't think I have seen another person say they didn't like them...

19. sonicD

sonicD Member

Filtertrons are the best! No reason to swap those out, imho. It's the reason most people buy a Gretsch. As for the Space Control bridge, I have it on my Nashville and my Silver Jet - the trick is too keep the entire bridge at a slight angle, so the bass strings are a longer length and you can get the intonation right. Since there's no way to set the individual string length, this is critical! Once you get that right, you won't have any problems. I rather like 'em in fact.

20. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

I'm fine with either the space control or bar bridge, they are easy to set intonation on, you're right... my method was to go for the low E first, then the high E... it requires slacking the strings a bit to slide the bridge angle easily, but once it's there, it's there... that is unless you either do a Pete Townsend windmill or change more than one string at a time... :AOK