Gretsch 101

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
Since I don't know squat about them would somebody mind explaining the pickups, country of origin, and other distinctions for the various current models? All I see at brick and mortar stores are very low end. Also how are the necks, how do they compare?

I'm especially interested in models with filtertrons, maybe that goes with this territory for all I know.

SciFlyer

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah it can be confusing. I've recently learned a lot as I'm starting to get into Gretsches. The Gretsch website is pretty thorough and has lots of info about all of their current models.
Low end- Streamliner, mid- Electromatic, high- Professional

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
The proline have Been Made in Japan for many years, Pre-FMICs tend to have less traditional appointments and may be a little heavier. That being said they made some cool models like one of my favorites the 6120 Jr. The current lineup brought these minis back recently too. Lots of options it depends on how big a body you want to strap on. I owned several and found the big bodies to wear in my playing arm and ended up with two vintage Jets, one Dyna and one Filter.

Join the Gretsch pages and read up, way too many options out there! Buy used, less sting for your first.

good luck!

sws1

The cheaper ones are made in Korea or China, and are identifiable by price. (No more than $1000). In general, have model numbers that are different.
The ones that are in the 2k plus range are made in Japan and often are based on the classic designs. 6120, Country Gentleman, White Falcon, etc
Their custom shop stuff is made in America and is $8k and up. Typically wouldn't see those in a store.

It is complicated...moreso than other brands, to figure out. Plus, their website has some bugs in it, so when you try to find "all guitars with filtertrons" for example, it doesn't pick them all up. (Somebody needs to update all the tags on the guitars so the search function works properly.) It's 95% accurate though.

Gratuitous Gretsch photo:

don carney

Gold Supporting Member
There has been much discussion about the different options on TGP over the years. I would say that there is a pretty strong line of opinion that the Electromatic line with Filtertrons is a good guitar and an excellent value over the past say 5 years. I bought one and am very happy with it (it is white with gold hardware-bling!). Others argue that the pro line is where the real Gretsch sound and feel can be found and a used one is the way to go. Fun to explore all of the options.

romo

Silver Supporting Member
I have a hard time with all the Gretsch model numbers and keeping things straight. I learned a lot by browsing the Gretsch website. All the electromatics I have played were very nice guitars. When I bought mine I went with the Pro line because it had the specs I wanted. The Japanese Gretsch guitars I have tried were the same caliber as Gibson USA or most MIA Fenders.

romo

Silver Supporting Member
About Gretsch necks: most of them are pretty slim like a 60's style Gibson or Fender. I like a good '59 LP carve as much as anyone but I think my Gretsch neck feels and plays great.

Trending Topics