Gretsch 6128 with a Bigsby

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Axeaholic, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Tell me about yours ! it'll be my first Gretsch, first Filtertrons etc ...

We don't have them locally so there was no way for me to try one. I really like those Beatle tones and some awesome Youtube tones.

[​IMG]

2. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

3. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

Filter'trons are my favorite humbuckers, hands down. But...Beatles' (George's) tones were mostly done with Dynasonics. There is a Duo Jet that comes with the Dyna's & the fixed-arm Bigsby, though. Killer guitar. Of course, IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Filter'tron version either! Enjoy!

4. SGNick

SGNick Member

Not really, but kind of.

A lot of people associate the Beatles to the instruments they saw the with live, they don't really consider that the majority of the instruments that appear on the albums are actually their Gibson J160E plugged in.

Though, for the absolute sound of the Dynasonics, check out the solo in "I saw her standing there".

The Filtertrons came later in the country gent. ANy live performance with the Country Gent, that's the tone. good example would be Till There Was you (live) or anything from the Royal variety show (you can hear them well).

The country Gent does appear on Meet The Beatles and Beatles for sale, but I'm not 100% sure what tracks it's/they're on (he had 2) so I won't bother guessing.

I'm guess "Money (That's what I Want) would be the Country Gents bridge pickup.

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I have a Gretsch Jet Firebird 6131 with Filtertrons. Same as the Duo Jet - except red.

So what do ya wanna know. Great guitar - super versatile for any style except heavy metal, Bigsby works perfect, looks fantastic.
    But everyone knows that - anythin else :knitting

6. pitner

pitner Member

My Gretsch is a brand new 6128tCG Duo Jet. I got it for Christmas and have been getting great sounds out of it ever since. The tuning is stable even with the Bigsby and the workmanship is perfect with no flaws whatsoever. Sound wise it kills in every area. Doesn't have the thump of humbuckers or the jangle of my Ric 620/6 but the Gretsch stands alone in it's own tonal spectrum of greatness. A keeper for sure. I like the way the vol knobs inter react to each other giving me lots of Gretsch twang when I want it. Kind of expensive but worth the $$$$.