• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gretsch 6128T...!

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Wow...just got my newly acquired Gretsch DuoJet back from my Guitar Tech/pal and it is putting' the cream in my coffee!

I got it in a trade deal with another TGP'er...and I couldnt be happier at the moment!
When she first arrived...I played for a bit, and thought "Not a good fit, wont stay in tune, strings not feeling right...dang!".
Then I read a bit on the Gretsch Forum, and here...and found that a number of modifications often made folks fall in love with this axe.
First up...the banjo tuners came off, and a new set of Grover locking tuners went on. Next, the Melita bridge came off, and a new Gibson ABR bridge went on...mounted to an ebony pedestal, and pinned to the body.
Finally...nut lube, and a set of d'Addario .095's went on. And then the setup, intonation, etc.
I picked up the guitar last nite and came home. Plugged into the Shiva/NOVA system rig...and I couldnt stop smiling. This guitar feels so good, and the neck is just the right chunkiness, the bigsby action is right on, and the tones are just so sparkly and fat, with that Gretsch sound in spades...that I got blown away. My friend/tech Jason turned this guitar from a disappointment into a true classy looking player!
And, get this...the Filtertron pups arent TV Jones! They still sound fantastic. I've had great luck with TV Jones, but I've also had 2 Gretsches without them, and they both sounded magnificent.
I do wish that they would do the above mods as standard on their Bigsby guitars...but still it wasnt expensive to do at all. And the wait has been SO worth it.

If there's anybody out there thinking about getting a Jet...get one ASAP, and do the mods on this thread.
You WILL dig the whole vibe of this classy instrument.
Pix later...

S.
j

pitner

Agreed. As I sated on the other Gretsch post mine is caddie green and stock. I'm not having any issues with tuning to sdpeak of so it is staying stock. The sound (tone) is to die for and lies somewhere between perfection and heaven.

Waxhead

I've had a Jet Firebird with Filtertrons for 2 years.
Played some other Jets with TV Jones Classics and didn't think they were any better, or really much different - not better or worse, just slightly different.

Have had zero prob's with the stock tuners so they stayed.
Bigsby runs just fine with 10-46's - doesn't need lube.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I think pinning the bridge to the body helps stability of intonation.

And the Gibby ABR bridge is fabulous with the bigsby.

I highly recommend the Grover locking tuners...they look beautiful, are super smooth (actionwise) and tuning stays rock solid now.
Easier string changeout too.

S.
j

Last edited:

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
TNJ your making me wish I hadnt sold the Jazzmaster. Dang it! ;)
Yeah...I had no idea the 'Jet was gonna turn out so choice!

:cool:

Still diggin' that Gold Jazzmaster look...whoever got that one, got lucky.

S.
j

Trending Topics