1. evbrad2007

evbrad2007 Member

I just traded for a Gretsch 6162 dual twin w/6973 power tubes and original jensen speakers. It is not making much power...low volume and stays clean even when dimed with humbuckers in front of it. The clean tone does sound quite nice as it is but I can't imagine this is all she will do...never heard any 17 watt amp make this little volume. Can anyone describe the volume, overdrive and tonal characteristics of these amps when healthy and up to specs?

Also, read some of the cap values are very difficult to find. Any recommended sources for these (20/10/10? I think I recall reading)?

Thanks!

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Should be a pretty amusing amp. Sounds like it needs some attention. Caps, maybe tubes.

Finding a 20/10/10 in can shouldn't be too hard. You have a few options, one is to get a 20/20/20 and use that. The second would be to get a 20/10/10/10 and just leave one unattached. The last option would be to use individual caps and not a can. You can get them at www.tubesandmore.com

3. bunuel

bunuel Member

http://www.tubesandmore.com/ is definitely a good spot to look for the caps. Also be sure to check if the speakers are in phase, for some reason a lot of the twin spkr valcos were wired out of phase--outta the five that I've had (all dif models), four we wired out of phase at the factory. Putting them into phase will help on both the volume & tone front. Great amp, well worth bringing up to snuff.

4. evbrad2007

evbrad2007 Member

Thanks for the input. She's off to the local tech for a going over. Really look forward to getting her back up to specs...promises to be a really cool amp:AOK

5. bunuel

bunuel Member

let us know how it works out!