Gretsch Boxcar Resonator - one weak note - strange

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluegrif, Apr 19, 2016.

1. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I recently pickup up a Gretsch Boxcar as a slide guitar for my solo and duo gigs. It sounds very nice for such an inexpensive reso and seems a great choice for it's somewhat limited use, to say nothing of my very limited budget.

I've only had one problem with it. Nothing drastic and nothing that'll have me looking to unload it. But strange and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Playing slide (so nothing to do with the fretwork), I have a weak note on the B string at the 12th fret, that decays much more rapidly than the other strings. The response gets stronger as soon as you drop below the 12th. Sounds fine at the 10th fret. If I were fretting I wouldn't be perplexed. I've seen that problem turn out to be a lose fret. But given the frets aren't touched, I have no idea if it's something that can be addressed. I've tried a heavier string gauge. In fact, I'm currently running a 19 for the B string. So that doesn't appear to be the issue. Since it's fine down further, the nut wouldn't seem to be an issue either. Any ideas?