Gretsch Brian Setzer hot rod versis rick 330/360

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blackba, Mar 5, 2008.

1. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I currently have a Gretsch Brian Setzer hot Rod (pre-fender buyout) that I like, but lately I have been GASing for a Rick 360 6 string. I own a 360-12, but it is kind of a 1 trick pony.

Which guitar do you guys prefer and why? The general consensus on Rick's is that they are not lead guitars.

I generally play 60's rock to modern rock using Vox or Fender tube amps.

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

It won't sound the same as the Gretsch..that's a given. I think you'd have a hard time convincing Mike Campbell, Tom Petty, and Peter Buck that a Ric can't be used for lead work. Probably the guys from the Smithereens too.

The 360 and 330 have the same neck width..but the 330 feels wider due to the lack of binding.

Good luck.

3. dave s

dave s Member

I've had and gigged with both a Gretsch HR Setzer model and a Ric 330. 330 wins hands-down. Much easier play. Way better access up the neck. Easier to control tonally on stage.

The Gretsch wins the 'cool factor,' but that's about it, IMO.

dave

4. blackba

That's kind of what I am thinking, I really like the neck on the Setzer HR, but its hard to get to the upper frets and coming from a strat background, it can be challenging with that thick body.

Which do you guys feel is move versatile.....

5. blackba

I am not sure where that rumour got started about ricks not doing lead, that is just what I read on various sites. The HC reviews of the rick sure don't support that info for the most part, they work to dispell the myth, many are aware of that statement about ricks though...

6. blackba

I was just checking the prices of a new Rick 360, when did the prices jump so much. Last I looked a few years ago you could get one from around $1300-1400 as I remember, now they want $2250. I figured there would still be a long wait, I was just expecting more like a $1800 price as pretty much all music gear has gone up in the last few years....

7. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

I don't put too much stock in HC reviews. They are what they are. In this instance, good for them...I have no problem playing leads on my 330/6 or fingerpicking my 620/12. You just won't be playing real heavy stuff.....think Pantera....LOL.

The Ric price increase took place at the end of 2007. It was a BIG one, but probably justified.

My favorite Ric pushers:

Pick of the Ricks
    Mike Parks
    Guitar Gallery of New England
    Wildwood Guitars

Good luck...and I don't think you'll be disappointed playing leads on a 360 or a 330.

8. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

I did find a new (2007) 360/6 in Jetglow for $1,699.00. Let me know if you're interested and I'll hook you up with them.

9. blackba

Thanks for the tip, the fireglow or midnight blue have caught my eye. Northcoast music has a new 360 for under $1500, I am thinking of jumping on it, I may have to wait a few years to get it though :(

And I am not looking to play real heavy stuff with either my gretsch or a Rick. Looking for more of a niche guitar, but versatility is always a plus.

10. blackba

So are they different enough that is worth owning both guitars? I would really like the Rick, but I feel like I need to get rid of a guitar to get it. I have only played a 360 in the store and that was years ago....

11. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Just to play devil's advocate, all those guys have been known to play a Gretsch or two as well.

12. blackba

I am going to get a Rick 360 on order from northcoast and keep the Gretsch. I just sold one of my other guitars.

13. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Good call, bro!

Congrats. Be sure to post some pics.:dude

14. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Good call. I have a Setzer HR as well, and I really think you would have hated yourself for selling it.

15. blackba

Here is a picture of the Gretsch HR. It may be a while till I get the Rick 360, but I figure I can wait.....

[​IMG]

16. blackba

Updating this old thread. I got a Ric 360 and love it. I like it better than the Gretsch, but I may be doing a pickup swap on the Gretsch. Both are nice guitars.

17. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

Have you thought about trying a Duo Jet. It worked for George

18. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

My take on the Setzer hot rod is that if you bring one of those into a club, you better be able to bring it.

I have high expectations of the player when they pull one of those out.

It's almost a statement that you are going to play well, so you oughta!

lol

19. blackba

I play my best all the time. I didn't know a Gretsch was a statement guitar.

Here is a picture of my Rics. I guess I can blend in with them :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009