Gretsch (corvette) vs Rick (620)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jef, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jef

Jef Member

I can't decide between a Rick or a Gretch. Of course I want both. But I can only afford one. In fact, I even can't afford a classic Gretsch guitar.

Now I'm torn between two guitars. One is the new G. Love signature Gretsch Corvette (just under € 1000) the other one is the Rickenbacker 620. (just over €1000)

What would be the most versatile guitar? I play rhythm most of the time, almost exclusively on telecasters so far, and I want to be able to go from Tom Petty/Peter Buck/CCR jangle/chime/swamp to Malcom Young chord work.

I live in Europe and the Made in China (Gretsch) vs Made in USA (Rick) debate is not really much of an emotional or political issue for me.

Thanks for your advice! I'm also open to other suggestions.

Jef

2. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

The Gretsch is very cool, but having tried the plain red version (cheaper, btw), it's not hugely versatile. (The knobs are also far too close together and the trem gets in the way of using them, but hey, that's the price of cool.). I suspect the Rick will win on versatility, and quite possibly on build quality and reliability too.

Couldn't you be diligent on ebay and see if you can track down used versions of both - unless you're hooked on Racing Green with go faster stripes, I'd also look for the 'regular' Corvette. (The Corvette may well edge the Rick on 'wallop' for the Malcolm Young stuff: it's quite a hard, bright sounding guitar. From the ones I've tried, light as a feather with a very nice neck too.)

Ultimately, I can only go by what you've said, but you've listed two Rick players and the words 'jangle' and 'chime', which might answer your own question?

3. vkennedy

vkennedy Member

Get the Rick now and the Gretsch later.

4. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

I think almost everyone will tell you to the get Rick, myself included. You can get a cheapo Gretsch anywhere, anytime, but a Rickenbacker is quite something else.

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

rick, hands down.

6. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Ric. No doubta boutit......Plus, Ric lead times are way outta whack right now. Pick that sucker up if you can.