Gretsch Country Classic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Droptop, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Anyone out there own or played a Gretsch Country Classic? Just wondering people opinions. I played one the other day and was amazed at how warm and clean the tone was. Reminded me a little of the tone Johnny A gets with his Gibson signature model.

2. Droptop

Anyone, anyone, Beuler

3. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

I'll let you know in a week or so... :D

Jamie

4. Droptop

Are you getting one?

5. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

En Route...

Jamie

6. Droptop

What sold you on that particular model? Did you get a new one?

7. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

George Harrison. Yes, it's new (well, a NOS 2005).

Jamie

8. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

I have had one for about 4 months and it is FANTASTIC !!! I have never owned a Gretsch before because quite frankly I thought they sucked.But this is one of the most toneful, easy to play guitars I've ever had. And stays in tune even shakin' the hell out of that wiggle stick.

9. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

There are a few different versions available. The actual semi-hollow one with the real F holes and the 19th fret neck joint is an amazing guitar.The best Gretsch I've ever played. I bought one as a gift for my brother-in-law and have not been able to find another for myself, but I'm on a mission.

10. Droptop

I played one at the store and was instantly drawn to how the thing chimed. My only wish would be a tone knob, because I don't believe the 3 way switch doesn't completely cut out the highs if you are trying to do jazz. I found a used one for $1400 that looks to be in excellent shape.

11. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

i believe the wiring is the same, so , on my 6120, if you want all the highs out, just turn the neck p'up volume down slightly, switch to up position and master vol up and there is NO highs.
    I was surprised at how different the p'up vol controls change the tone. it is nothing like gibsons, fenders or anything else i've tried. As i primarily play gibsons, it took a little while to get used to, but my gretsch now a couple yrs of use is definately becoming my favorite. the neck in particular is great. I was a little hesitant on the Jap build, but it is as good or better than ANY other guitar i've seen (and mine is left handed as well)

12. Gerald Johnson

Gerald Johnson Member

I`ve had mine about 18 months now. I sold the White Falcon and kept the Country Classic, which I find to be a far superior guitar. The tone is quite unique and instantly recognisable. I love it!
    I also, by coincidence, have a Gibson Johnny A ( bought at last year`s Philly show) and have to say that it is a completely different beast. Different tone and playing characteristics altogether, but wonderful in its own way!

Gerald.

13. Droptop

Different in what way? The Johnny A guitar seems a little mellower to me. Great guitar though!

14. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

Keep checking e-bay. There's a guy selling NEW ones (6122-1962) for less...

Jamie

15. Droptop

How are you liking yours?

16. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I played a 6122 Country Classic Jr. for the first time yesterday. I've always wanted to check these out, as I've been a fan of smaller hollowbodies for a couple of years now, and I'm thinking about a CS-336/CS-356 or the 6122. Very nice guitar, very comfortable. I think I'd have to spend some more time with it in order to pull some of the attention away from the 336/356.

17. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

Same with my Chet Atkins Nashville. The controls are like no others.

(I believe mine is right handed:jo )

18. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

It arrived earlier this week. It's one of the new Fender era guitars, made in '05. Fit and finish is perfect, but the neck could use a little tweek. I'm letting it settle for a week or two to make sure.

Sound? Although I've not played it thru the required AC-30 (that may change in the near future!), it's very 'Beatle-esque' and exactly what I was looking for...

Jamie

19. Ogre

Ogre Member

Welcome to the Gretsch club. I have been a charter member since 1970. It's kind of like golf, in that there can be as much suffering as there is ecstacy!