Gretsch dilemma

GibsonLives

I'm thinking about picking up a new guitar after Christmas...cuz apparently eight is NOT enough :p.

So, I'm thinking maybe Gretsch. Never owned one, but I've played a few, and they sure were a lot if fun. I also currently own this:CS Tele with Bigsby, TV Jones, and ebony board.

Here are my current models of interest:
Gretsch g6134 Penguin in Broadway Jade, or

Gretsch g6131 PowerJet.

There are a few differences, including pickups, single vs. double-cut, and of course price, but both are semihollow-body, modern-focused rockers (or so they claim). Anyone have experience with these or other similar Gretsches?

Thanks.

Steve

Last edited:

Fatherflot

That's one of the nicest looking teles I've ever seen. By the way, I made a tele partscaster with a Bigsby but took it off because I felt it was robbing me of sustain a bit. Do you get the full tele snap, especially in the bass strings, with that Bigsby on?

GibsonLives

It's not a typical Tele for sure; I've also got a more traditional example, though, so it doesn't need to be.

The Penguin is also the one I'm drawn to more, since my Tele has the same TVJ as the Powerjet, and hell, I just dig the Penguin's looks and vibe more. Course, there is an $800 price difference...this from the guy who asked others to ignore price lol.

Steve

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
I'm thinking about picking up a new guitar after Christmas...cuz apparently eight is NOT enough :p.

So, I'm thinking maybe Gretsch. Never owned one, but I've played a few, and they sure were a lot if fun. I also currently own this:CS Tele with Bigsby, TV Jones, and ebony board.

Gretsch g6131 PowerJet.

There are a few differences, including pickups, single vs. double-cut, and of course price, but both are semihollow-body, modern-focused rockers (or so they claim). Anyone have experience with these or other similar Gretsches?

Thanks.

Steve
Having had some experience with this, and for variety sake I'd look at a Gretsch with dynasonics. You may find that you much prefer that tele over any filtertron equipped Gretsch. YMMV, and all that

bsteff666

Silver Supporting Member
I have a pair of the Power Jets & gigged with them for a couple of years while I was doing a punkabilly kind of thing.

I think they are fantastic.

Very gig ready right out of the box. With the locking tuners & pinned bridge...the Bigsby is very stable. No tuning issues at all.

The Power Jets have jumbo frets which make them play easier than some of the other models that have the small vintage style frets.

Really great sounding & playing & nice light weight too.

toomanyamps

I like your telecaster a lot! Since you already have a Bigsby on a smaller solid body my advice would be to check out the quintessential Gretsch which is, of course, the 6120. :hide
Yes, full hollow body. The new Electromatics are also very good if the Pro Series are financially out of reach.

cutaway

the tone difference in those other two guitars from what you have is going to be so subtle, unless you just want another guitar (and don't we all) you already have that base covered

Mark 63

Silver Supporting Member
On the double cut models, the mud switch seems to be in a troublesome spot. But I've never played one and never heard anyone complain about it.

GibsonLives

OP again.

Someone above said the tones wouldn't differ too much from my Tele. They may be right :/.

Truth is, part of me wants to be brave and go full-hollow. I'm just a bit scared about the guitar's ability to stand up to higher volume and gain levels. Anyone have reassuring tales to tell? :)

Steve

Waxhead

Gretsch g6131 PowerJet.

Thanks.

Steve
Yes Steve I own a Jet Firebird and have played Penquins - that answers ur Q :)

Will also offer that both Jet & Penquins sound very similar when both are fitted with the same pups and ............neither of them will sound like the Tele you posted.

BobK

OP again.

Someone above said the tones wouldn't differ too much from my Tele. They may be right :/.

Truth is, part of me wants to be brave and go full-hollow. I'm just a bit scared about the guitar's ability to stand up to higher volume and gain levels. Anyone have reassuring tales to tell? :)

Steve
My 6120 will feed back at high volume levels, but it's fun to play with it. Malcolm Young didn't seem to have any problems.

weintra

I've auditioned duojets, power jets and penguins side by side by side. The powertrons and filters were really different to my ears. Powertrons were much hotter and I couldn't get the clean sound I like so much from a Gretsch. You're probably aware of this from the Tele. I wound up getting a duojet with filtertrons. I also like my Country Club with dynas but that too is a very different sound.

No doubt, you'll run the risk of feedback at volume with a full hollow. Have you considered one of the semi-hollows, panther or falcon?

w

Dashface

Gretsch g6134 Penguin in Broadway Jade,
This. It just looks so effing good. How could you not!?

I have owned a few Gretsches. All of the high end Gretsches being made today (and most of the low end ones too!) are spectacular. They all have pristine fit and finish, they all play wonderfully, and they all look like a million bucks. Honestly. They put most of the other companies to shame. So... Go for the prettiest one :D

I currently have a Silver Jet (which is lovely), and a Setzer Hot Rod which is honestly the best guitar I've ever owned.

Waxhead

I've auditioned duojets, power jets and penguins side by side by side. The powertrons and filters were really different to my ears. Powertrons were much hotter and I couldn't get the clean sound I like so much from a Gretsch. You're probably aware of this from the Tele. I wound up getting a duojet with filtertrons. I also like my Country Club with dynas but that too is a very different sound.

No doubt, you'll run the risk of feedback at volume with a full hollow. Have you considered one of the semi-hollows, panther or falcon?

w
Powertrons ARE filtertrons - a hotter type.
TV Jones makes 8 different types that all sound different.
The PowerJet has Powertrons.
Duo Jet can have either Gretsch HS Filtertrons or Dynsonics.

Jets and Penguins don't feedback any more than an LP :)

Trending Topics