Gretsch Duo Jet questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ryguy, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Ryguy

Ryguy Member

My buddy just picked up a newer Duo Jet 6128t-DSV with TV Jones classic filtertrons in it. (GREAT pickups). Overall it is really nice, with a surprisingly wide range of tones on it; however, there is a problem that I am hoping is due to the bridge. His has the "synchro sonic" bridge on it, which looks to me like a tone sucking beast. The guitar has a really plinky sound on the 1st string, some sitaring, and a lack of sustain on some of the higher notes on the 1st string. The bridge has a plastic bottom, and that bizarre intonation contraption that looks like some sort of dentist's tool.

Has anybody changed this bridge out for a rocker style, or simply a tune-o-matic with a rosewood base? We might just go out and buy him one, but I am really curious to hear other's experiences with this.

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Ry: This might be relevant. I picked up a 6121 Roundup Gretsch last year, chambered body, bigsby, came with the aluminum Bigsby bridge. It's not all that far from a duo jet. Mine had dynasonics. That one too was plinky. Almost right sound, but something was not together. It vexed me for a while. Then I read a very detailed sound comparison of 5 common Gretsch bridges -- including the syncho -- in the tech section (I think) of www. gretschpages.com. Really interesting reading. Seemed like the big winner tonally -- and I believe all bridges were tried on a duojet -- was the bar bridge. Two versions, one that rocks (for Bigsby), one that doesn't. Both are heavy slugs of metal with string slots machined in, on a wooden base. Both available from Blackrider and other vendors. I got one and put in on. Major difference. The plink was gone. The sustain missing from the aluminum bridge was back. The extra mass of the bar bridge made the tone coherent.

Traded that guitar for an amp, but I'll certainly use the bar bridge again if the occasion arises. It might do as well for you.

3. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I removed my synchro sonic bridge and replaced it w/ a bar bridge that rocks,the intonation is not perfect but very close. It added alot more sustain and jangle. I also hated the syncro sonic cause I just couldn't palm mute w/ it or just couldn't get comfortable resting my hand on it.
    Helped to keep it in tune also!

4. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

5. readymade

readymade Supporting Member

Got my Duo-Jet used, and the previous owner had swapped in the Tune-o-matic style bridge. . . works for me!