Gretsch Electromatic 5120

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by g335, Feb 17, 2009.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

Played the Gretsch Electromatic 5120 yesterday.
    Played this guitar and it sounds and feels good, not as good as a real Gretsch but good.

I noticed that it has the shorter Gibson scale for the neck. Can you still get Gretsch sounds with this guitar if the pickups are upgraded to TV Jones? Gretschs have a Fender scale for their necks. Will there be a difference in sound and feel?

Help

2. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

Gretsch uses both 24.5 and 25.5 scales... the 6120s, 6119s, etc all are 24.5, the Falcons and the Country Clubs, for instance, have the longer scale. I think the 5120s feel very, very close to the higher end guitars... I don't think you'll have an issue with it...

3. g335

g335 Member

Oh,

I thought that the Tennessee Rose was a 25.5 inch scale?

4. SGNick

SGNick Member

Could be. A Set of TV Jones will get you there though, I'm liking the stock ones I have in there for now.

[​IMG]

5. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Fit and finish are perfect, IMO.

The sound is a bit darker than a "real" Gretsch, but I think it has to do with the pickups. I'd budget for TV Jones classics...

6. soulohio

soulohio Member

the answer is yes.

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

My Tenny is short scale, my Falcon is long scale. Swap the pickups and the guts out of that 5120 and it'll give you plenty of Gretsch twang. I suggest the regular old TV Classics.

8. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

I just picked one up for my 16 year old son. He's loving it. It's a very nice guitar especially for the money. The pickups sound pretty good but we may drop some TV Jones pups in it down the line.

[​IMG]

9. SGNick

SGNick Member

The pickup mods was one of those "down the road" upgrades for me as well. Love the sunburst!

10. g335

g335 Member

Played the 5120 agai n. Sounds ok, feels super light, but the the neck heel and where it joins the body is strange. The body of the guitar is square and the neck is rounded there. It doesn't fit smoothly. I have never seen a guitar with a neck heel like this.

Does this bother anyone?

11. SGNick

SGNick Member

could you post a pic? it sounds like a pretty basic neck joint

12. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

What about the other similar models? There's a 5129, and another variation with different pickups and such. I think the 5129 I saw had a black pickguard, not the clear one on the 5120. Can't remember the exact model numbers, but the other ones had different pickups on them. Anyone have one of these?

Al

13. SGNick

SGNick Member

The 5129 has dynasonic pickups, which are really cool pickups, but I didn't like the finish options on it, and for me, Dynasonics are a "sometimes sound", I wouldn't want it to be 50% of my guitar collection.

14. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I just got one of these (actually its being delivered thursday) orange..
    I'll probably upgrade to TV Jones pickups soon
    Do I want the TV Jones Classic or Classic plus in the bridge?

It's gonna be used for old-school rock-n-roll, rock-a-billy, blues and jump-blues

(sorry if this is a thread hi-jack, but there seem to be a bunch of folks familiar with this instrument eye-balling it...)

pEEsE,

jb

15. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I beg to differ... the Electromatic is a "real" Gretsch, made in Korea, just as the main liners are "real" Gretsches made in Japan, all of which pretty much have the Gretsch DNA in them.

I have a 5120 & a 6120 ... with some TV Jones pickups & harness & a rocking bar bridge (pinned), the 5120 is darn close to the vibe & tone of the 6120 at less than 1/2 the price.

I'd go with the Classic Plus in the bridge, that's what I have and it works great.

16. kovachian

kovachian Member

The 5129 and similar models do not have Dynasonics. None of the Electromatics have Dynsonics, only models in the pro line can have those pickups. Electromatics have DeArmonds which are 95% of a Dynasonic, which coincidentally is good enough for 95% of buyers.

It's a nitpicky thing yes, but worthy of pointing out.

17. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

The DeArmonds are very highly thought of ....

18. SGNick

SGNick Member

You're right, I usually forget the distinction! haha

They sound great for sure, but I mean... so do strats, but I don't want one all the time, it's a "sometimes" sound for me! haha