Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by marvelboy_04, Feb 10, 2012.

1. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

ok, I've been bitten by the gretsch bug and am really wanting a duo jet. Im thinking of selling an extra cheaper tele and trying to pick up an electromatic pro jet with bigsby. whats the general consensus on these?

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    ah they're probly THE best value for money mid priced guitars available today :)

3. televox

televox Member

I have one and the build quality is very good, great neck and once setup they feel great to play.
    The stock pickups are not good, some people don't mind them- I didn't so I installed some Filtertrons, big improvement. I do think these guitars are inherently dark so in hindsight I think these guitars would work better with dynasonics. In general though they are great value and quite a serious guitar when set up properly.

4. Daryl_Licht

Daryl_Licht Member

I have one without the Bigsby, and it's a great guitar. Very well made. The mini hums in it don't always cut it, but mine sounds terrific thru a Fender Blues Deville 410.

5. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

Although I just traded mine, I recommend them highly. I used mine for recording, mostly, and it sounded (and played) great. I'm going to save up for an actual Gretsch, but I am keeping the Electromatic baritone I have. Swap the pickups, and you've got a bargain. :aok

6. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I have an older one without the Bigsby, but damn if it's not an impressive guitar. I bought it to flip (it had a couple minor issues so I got it for cheap) but think it'll stick around for a while.

Mine is kind heavy. If you are concerned about weight, I'd either play the one you're looking to buy or I'd be very clear about asking for the weight of the guitar.

I'm usually one to upgrade pickups pretty quickly and I've been hankerin' to put TV Jones in another guitar but I get along with the stock pickups pretty well.

[​IMG]

7. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

what are some of the best replacement pickups available? and I'm fine with weight since i have a heavy les paul. What are the differences between dynasonic and filtertrons?

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

'

If you're gonna swap PUPs go TV Jones Classic filtertrons.
    They're my fav PUPs :)

9. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

Very solid guitars - but they have quality control issues from one to another. I have a long thread about the mods I've done to mine:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=888284

Overall - I think the build quality of the body is very good. The lacquer on the back is very weak and prone to chipping. The electronics are bottom of the barrel.

The only drop in replacements I have found for this guitar are GFS NY II and NYIII and Rickenbacker pickups. Any other pickup will require routing to the pickup cavity.

I should also note that the "Licensed" Bigsby units are actually very nice quality and have minor improvements over the actual Bigsbys.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

yeah rout those PUP cavities - stick in TV Jones Classics and you got a guitar approaching the greatness of a Jet.
    The Electromatics have a few issues but for mid priced guitars there's nothin better imo

11. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

Im absolutely new to the whole gretsch world, so could someone explain the differences between the normal pickups that could go into this guitar? like what exactly are tv jones, filtertrons etc.? I have a tele, strat and les paul so Im used to all the normal suspects. How would a mini bucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck sound on this guitar? I actually got a chance to play one for about 10 minutes.

12. Fab4ever

Fab4ever Member

I'm no expert but I've had a few Gretsches and a nice Fender with TV Jones pickups.

Filtertrons are the original Gretsch humbucker. They are humbuckers for guys who like single coils -- brightish, clear, articulate. They are underwound compared to humbuckers most people like.

TV Jones studied vintage Filtertrons obsessively until he found a formula to reproduce them. And he did it so well that Gretsch hired him to provide pickups in some of its upscale and specialty models.

Now, not all Gretsches have filtertrons or TV Jones filtertrons ("Classics") as has been noted. The stock pickups in the older Electromatics are mostly humbuckers -- the 5120 has the Gretschbuckers and the Pro Jet models have mini-hums. Thicker, less twang and not as clear as Filtertrons.

Some Gretsches of course have single coils -- Dynasonics, etc. And some now-discontinued Electromatics have Dearmond 2000s, which are really nice bright P90-like singles.

To make matters even more confusing, NEW Pro Jets now come with "Blacktop" Filtertrons -- by all accounts they are identical to stock Gretsch Filtertrons except for the black top.

I *love* real Filtertrons and TV Jones Classics -- I have a pro Gretsch 6118T that has the former and a modded Fender Jaguar with the latter. They are the best electrics I've ever owned.

13. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

well considering i have a great les paul with hum buckers, I'm guessing the dynasonics would be the best consideration? though i still somewhat like the idea of en electromatic pro jet with a mini in the bridge and single in the neck.
    so If i get one I should replace all of the electronics? also how are the older ones with the thumb inlays versus the newer ones with big inlays? I prefer the look of no

14. HyakuShiki

HyakuShiki Member

The older ones are the ones I prefer, but both versions are very solid, well-built guitars. I personally love the Neo-Classical thumbnail inlays.

Of course, I have to give a shout out to the boys at Shanghai Music and Sound. They operate out of Oklahoma, but pretty much specialize in converting Pro Jets to Duo Jets, with mud switches, master volumes and everything. I would recommend giving them a call or an email if you're looking to mod one, as you can buy it from there and have experts do the modding. They're awesome guys and the prices for the conversions are amazing.

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

wanna learn about Gretsch - start here

http://www.gretschguitars.com/products?section=guitars

see how many models they have - all fantastic, all different.
    They use 3 main PUP types as noted.

Filtertrons are humbuckers - 2 types used - Gretsch HS Filtertrons & TV Jones Classics - both very similar and both THE best PUPs money can buy imo.
    Super versatile, articulate, low noise, warm, fat. They can do Les Paul growl thru to Tele twang to jazz warmth.

Dynasonics - single coil, less versatile, great for clean players, more noise like all single coils.

Gretsch Humbuckers go in the mid priced 51 Electromatic series - 2 types used - standard & mini's.
    Excellent humbuckers & better than the ones Epiphone uses on their guitars but not as great as Gibson 57 Classics.

Gretsch make solid bodied, semi-hollow and full hollow.
    Super versatile for any style, bigsbys work flawlessly, unique Gretsch tones, classic designs, superlative finish & craftsmanship.
    Great value for money :agree

16. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't forget the Double Jets! Huge bang-for-buck. Blacktop filters are pretty good too.