Gretsch Electromatic, yet another question!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Aj_rocker, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Hi, im gonna buy one (duo jet pro) this week sometime, but one last question.

how easy is it for a tech to mod it to its bigger brother (so has three vol tone, pickup selector, and tone selector vs one vol, tone pot, and pick selector) ??

which leads onto the second question which is do you think its worth my my while to have it modified??

thanks for the helps

AJ

2. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

no one ???
    no techs here ??

3. fieldhdj

fieldhdj Member

If you are upgrading the pups, it is a definite yes. TV Jones can set you up with just about any wiring harness you need. If your tech doesn't mind drilling, it is a gread mod for a pro jet.

The TV Jones Classics, Powertrons and Magnatrons are especially great choices for a Jet.

http://www.tvjones.com/home/home.htm

4. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

thanks

i know of TV Jones, i think i will wait and see how it sounds (i have a sound which im trying to go for, from one of my heros and have him playing clean for a few seconds).

still thanks for the answer

AJ

5. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

This is a significant amount of work for a relatively budget guitar. I suspect the cost of the mods / labour / parts would exceed the value of the guitar.

If you're having all this done, you'd likely want to have some work done on the frets as well - the electromatic's tend to have some pretty rough fret work.

Personally, I wouldn't do this ... I'd hold out for a used MIJ standard Gretsch model. Another alternative would be Reverend guitars - they make some well-finished guitars with filter-tron type pickups.

6. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

Tru... too much work.
    Routing, swapping, regrounding, buying new cavity covers (the ones that are on it will be too small after the routing), etc...

I held out for 3 years and finally bought a G6120 and LOVE IT!! Hold out bro...
    $500 for the guitar, another $300 in pickups, another $100 (at least) in wiring from TV Jones, another $200 (AT VERY LEAST) in labor from your tech... that's over a grand bro... hold out.

7. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

Oh, sorry, by the way...
    If you do decide to spend that $1100 (or more), it's still going to be an Electromatic.
    You know what I mean?

8. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

so an update. the pickups sound great, so i dont think i will upgrade to Tv jones, no really they do sound good. I had a tech rewire and he did it really well, and because its a cavity body he didnt have to route any holes which save me abit of money. The bigsby was/is really nice to have its different that any other guitar i had, but its a biĀ£%h to get in tune and to get it to hold the tuning.

but thanks guys for the info

Aj

9. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Bigsby trems may impact the tuning a bit, but I'd bet the cheap tuners and maybe nut work are more of a factor. If you otherwise like the guitar, maybe invest in some Sperzels or other "drop-in" locking tuners.