Gretsch or Duesenberg???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cklug2, Mar 25, 2015.

1. cklug2

cklug2 Member

Alright, so its time to add another guitar to my small collection. I've narrowed it down to either a Duesneberg Starplayer TV, Gretsch Duo Jet with Filtertrons or a White Falcon with TV Jones. It will be used primarily for P&W. The only other guitar that I really use for that genre right now is my American Standard Tele, so I'm trying to get some versatility. I'm not necessarily trying to emulate anyone's sound, although we play primarily Hillsong, Passion, Kari Jobe, Gateway along with our own stuff. God willing, I'll have all 3 some day, but as my next purchase, which would you recommend? Which would you get? Thanks guys and rock on!

2. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Duesenberg is incredibly dishonest about where their products are made, even if they do make nice guitars.

Gretsch isn't, and they make incredibly nice guitars.

Buy Gretsch.

3. ultradust

ultradust Member

Filtertron'd Duo Jet, all the way.

I have two proline Gretsch hollowbodies (G6122-1962 and G6196TSP-2G), but for P&W my G6128T would by far be the most flexible as far as the tones you'll need to cover along with being a nice tight package. I'd also strongly suggest also ordering a Compton Compensated bridge in titanium or stainless steel for added attack and sustain (http://www.comptonbridges.com/ , no affiliation). Plenty of reviews online, but in a nutshell, a G6128 will give you both gorgeous cleans and crunch, almost single coil-like dynamics without the stage noise, and decent weight from the highly chambered body.

And...they're beautiful without being distracting.

[​IMG]

4. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I love Gretsch guitars!

5. krall

krall Supporting Member

Duesenberg = Fancily dressed up Korean brand

Get a Gretsch!

6. jota

jota Member

Play them and choose the one you like!
    They don't know where they were made and it really doesn't matter if you like it, does it?
    A good guitar is a good guitar, regardeless of where it was made and only the buyer can decide if it's priced right or not.

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

the starplayer is going to sound pretty different {closer to a LP versus / jet = steroidal tele} and the bigsby will function and feel much different with the tension bar that's on the dues.

they are priced darn close. for me the duo jet is my preference, in either pup configuration.

8. Faded

Faded Member

Ahh the age old debate every guitarist in this genre has to go through at some point. Gretsch or "Koreas finest" Duesenberg. Its a tough choice. Like deciding what order all of the Strymon delays should be in on the board or which BadMorgJacksless amp will give the most chimey chimeyness. Of course whatever it is it has to have a completely original sound. Like that one guy, The Edge.

Get the Gretsch.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  9. archey

archey Member

I believe they have different scale lengths. The duesenberg has a 25 1/2". I find them a little uncomfortable to play myself. Although they are a fine instrument.

10. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Love my StarPlayer. Get compliments on it WAY more than any guitar I've ever owned.

11. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Big differences between the two -- as sanhozay suggests, a floating bridge and a B3 or B6 Bigsby make for a very distinct feel and sound. A Duo Jet is obviously going to be a tighter, crisper feeling guitar than a big archtop like a Falcon, but it's amazing how much of the archtop personality it retains. Because of the way they're built, Duesenbergs seem to have more in common with things like Gibson's Midtown or ES-135, all of which feel to me like only nominally semi-hollow guitars.

I've owned a number of Gretsches, and have only played Duesenbergs in shops a few times. They didn't seem to me to offer much meaningful competition to a pro-line Gretsch. They seem like decent guitars, but apart from the Gretsch-like price, their natural competition seems to be Reverend.

Between a Duo Jet and a Falcon, it's a matter of taste and application. I'd recommend trying both, and see what moves you.

12. Strat

Strat Member

I own both and they sound nothing at all alike. Now my Duesenberg was bought on tour in Germany long before they were available in the USA and has some minor differences in term and pick guard set up but same pickups I believe.

The quality, fit and finish is as fine as the Gretsch - it's really well done and needs no apologies for where it was constructed.

The sound is more rock than polite, very mid forward and punchy. I prefer it for a stand in for my tele on some things - the rear pickup really cuts but fuller as it should be, and way better with dirt pedals than a Gretsch.

Having said that it and most of my collection is being prepped for sale so if Sea Foam Green is your thing also ......

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Since they play and sound different, and since the two Gretsches are different from each other, I think you're going to have to spend an afternoon with your amp at a music store trying them out. Maybe even bring an MP3 of a few songs you want to play along with. Because it's only when you try your stuff with a guitar for a while that you're going to know which one is right.

As to the value proposition, I'd argue that both are a little overpriced for what you're getting but that doesn't matter if you love them.

14. gtone

gtone Member

The Duesenberg's I played were very "bling-y", but didn't sound/play very well. I wouldn't have paid more than $600-900 for any of them and yet they were all over CDN$2,000.

I'd take the Gretsch in a heartbeat...

15. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Spend some time with each... I work for a church- have a falcon and a duo jet amongst others- play all the ones you want to try - they really are extremely different between chambered jets and giant full hollow bodies...the feel and attack is QUITE different.

I have buddies who love their duesies, and they sound great, But I haven't spent any personal time to voice to that. I am seeing their used value fall a bit harder than a comparable gretsch.

Best of luck!

16. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Duo Jet, although there's nothing like a big hollowbody, if that's your thing. A Black (or White) Panther would be great as well; more air than a Jet but not as huge or feedback prone as a Falcon. If you prefer a singlecut, you could do a centerblock Falcon as well. The popularity of Duesies in this particular demographic never fails to amuse me; disregarding and/or defending the company's ethics strikes me as ironic.

17. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

This debate again ...

I love Duo Jets personally. If you want a Gretsch I don't think that a Duesenberg will satisfy you, different beasts.

Once again, however, in the EU, the Gretsch would significantly more expensive than the Duesenberg and on par with Reverends like the PA or Rick Vito. The issue is US distribution.

All that said, the pro series MIJ Gretsch guitars that I've played have been fantastic.

18. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

19. archey

archey Member

I would get the original prs starla if I were you.

20. Ogre

Ogre Member

Gretsch, by a mile.