Gretsch Playboy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tonedawg, Dec 27, 2009.

1. tonedawg

tonedawg Member

2. Snowdog74

Snowdog74 Member

The Gretsch G6156 Playboy was made in the United States by Victoria Amp Company, and features an all-handwired chassis, ensuring that each amp received the necessary personal attention to deliver the best sound possible. This 15-watt beauty is also all tube, sporting one 12" Eminence Legend speaker, and five tubes for that true-tube tone. It has controls for volume, treble, middle, bass, as well as tremolo intensity and speed with an included one-button footswitch for tremolo on/off

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Playboy/

3. NFB

NFB Senior Member

I believe the one in the videos is an original.

Killer Amp

4. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Watched all three videos in their entirety, and the amp is killing!

I luv the Wah, totally over the top.

5. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

So who has one of these and how does it stack up?

6. DCH

DCH Supporting Member

Shame you can't see the amp in the video, but yes, he's talking about the ORIGINAL Gretsch Playboy 6156 model made by Valco - looks like the early to mid '60s version - with 6973 output tubes, very different from the Victoria-made Gretsch Playboy of today. It's virtually the same circuit as the Supro Model 24 in a different, smaller cab. And yes, they can sound like that with no mods or upgrades. That amp came with just a single Jensen C10R speaker, but it puts out 17 watts of very robust power, too much for that speaker really. Patch it into a bigger cab and you'll be amazed by it, but sounds great just as-is in its 1x10 combo format if you want to keep volume down... and still it's surprisingly loud. Has very much its own crisp, slightly dark crunchy tone when cranked up. Not at all an EL84 tone, as plenty of people mistakenly assume (the 6973 looks a bit like an EL84, but is really nothing like that tube). Great little amps.

7. mario1956

mario1956 Member

That's the Valco version for sure. I have one that was purchased new in 1965 as a birthday present for my brother. After he passed away I inherited it.
    Aside from replacing the line cord to a 3 pronger and some tube replacements it's still 100% original. I use it regularly in a band now. I use a Digi-Tech Twin Tube ahead of it for my FX. My favorite set up is 50% volume 75% Tone and use the Bass input. I use the Digi Tech to drive the preamp tubes harder so I can run the volume at half and still get that nice fat sound.
    My guitar is a Epiphone G400 modded with original P90's and a stopbar tailpiece. The 6156 along with the P90s has a wonderful sound and brings many compliments and disbelief how loud this thing is. I occasionally mike it but most of the time it just sings out. I believe the 6973 tubes have a great deal to do with it. 6973s were used in jukeboxes and could stand the heavy duty use and have an excellent performance as a high fidelity pentode.
    The other guitar player has a Mesa combo amp around 40 watts don't really know what model but IMO me thinks my setup sounds just as good. But I might be prejudiced :D

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I have one of the new ones (by victoria).

its a great amp for my needs. Tones i'm after are generally a mix of americana and brit blues. It does as good of a blonde fender thing as it does a vox vibe (my previous amp was an ac30... i could dial it in to sound almost the same, but not as thick... it was a 15 watt 1x12).

What's awesome is that its only 35 lbs, so i can actually carry it to gigs in NYC.

Anyway, its a versatile, articulate amp. Stays clean/edge of breakup pretty well. When you crank it though it can really compress with a treble booster.

9. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I have a mid-60's version - it's a very cool little amp - sounds best with NOS tubes, though. I am putting it in the Emporium today, if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  10. 70's Hard Rock

70's Hard Rock Member

vintage 6973 tubes rock!!!

11. tonedawg

tonedawg Member

This was recorded in one take in a hurry before dinner... not very good. Because the camera was eventually found to be defective ( obviously lighting issue ) the amp was placed in a hallway which prevented it from overdriving which it does insanely and these valco amps are so dependable. It has a stock jenson 12" speaker and weighs under 25 lbs, I own many fender tweed amps the valcos are almost as dependable as my marshall 1917 amps. Forget the Zeppelin thing, fact 6973 tubes are unique when it comes to amps, you can get 6v6, EL84... but valco makes one of the few 6973 tube amps ( I think univox makes one ) and its very well made. Its my go to combo amp.

12. drewl

drewl Member

I just tuned up a Fury at my friends shop last month.
    Dual output tranny's, dual rectifiers, with 2 pairs of ORIGINAL 6L6's running cathode biased.
    man that amp just sang and sounded incredible.

13. 70's Hard Rock

70's Hard Rock Member

I have one of those amps... & let me say that if you run it into a 4x12 it is monsterous! & yes it sound like the video however you would think that there is a tube screamer on it... 6973 tubes sound like a marshall super lead on the verge of exploding!!! I have a Morgan 6973 head as well & it kicks some serious bootie!!!

14. t135

t135 Member

I found some cool Gretsch (Victoria)Playboy YouTube clips...

Love the way it sounds!