• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Gretsch Players Edition

Crazyquilt

Guitar Dad
Gold Supporting Member
I don't know about all of the models but when I saw the "Players Edition" version of the the 6119 Tennessee Rose the first thing that popped into my mind was, where's the ebony fret board? It's obvious that what Gretsch has done here is to offer up some fairly inexpensive upgrades at increased prices with the negative trade off being the loss of the Prolines ebony board. Individual preferences aside that seems to me to be more than a bit of a shell game.

View attachment 278048
And those fake f-holes! Man, what a crock!

Omega

I’ve been thinking about a Black Falcon. Is the player’s edition a good representation of this? Or should I look for a 6136 / 7??? (Can’t remember the number - the one with the large fret markers)?

orourke

Silver Supporting Member
How do you think that Electromatic compares to the higher end model?

The electromatic is a great guitar. The Anniversary model is a real 1959 so they were built 60's years apart. They both have a similar a feel, but the new cheaper one is much more versatile. The 5622t is a ridiculous value for the money, I found it to be nearly flawless. The Anny is more of a jazz box, I've also used it as an acoustic/electric and it works pretty well in that regard. I've had it since I was a kid in the early 70's. I brought it on tour and recorded with it back in the 80's but as you see it hasn't had a ton of play over the years. It's amazing that it all works perfectly and has never had any significant service or mods.

Here's me playing it in a video around 1984, dig my big hair:

BigDoug1053

Silver Supporting Member
I have both types of MIJ Gretsches. The PE models are nice and stay in tune a bit better, but my other babies are just as wonderful. Locking tuners and lubed nut materials are sensible additions to any quality guitar - Reverend also does this... And Gretsch does/has offer/offered several reissues of 57 and George Harrison Jet models with Dynasonics

Here's my PE models G6659 Broadkaster center block and G6118T Anniversary hollowbody

Gretsch 6659 Jr 001.jpg

Gretsch Anniversary Betty 001.jpg

And here's my older Pro Lines, before the PE models came out and they are keepers: G6120AM Chet Atkins Hollowbody and G6137 White Panther

Gretsch6120-001.jpg

Gretsch 6137 White Panther 004.jpg

Waxhead

I have both types of MIJ Gretsches. The PE models are nice and stay in tune a bit better, but my other babies are just as wonderful. Locking tuners and lubed nut materials are sensible additions to any quality guitar - Reverend also does this... And Gretsch does/has offer/offered several reissues of 57 and George Harrison Jet models with Dynasonics

Here's my PE models G6659 Broadkaster center block and G6118T Anniversary hollowbody

View attachment 278473

View attachment 278474

And here's my older Pro Lines, before the PE models came out and they are keepers: G6120AM Chet Atkins Hollowbody and G6137 White Panther

View attachment 278475

View attachment 278476
Always enjoy seeing your Gretsch Doug - you've got real beauties :)

On the PE upgrades issue - as you know many of us gretsch owners install small things like locking tuners for a lot less $$ than buying a PE. Most PE's have a few different specs to the stock 61 series prolines but it's easy and cheap to adjust a few things on the prolines anytime if you want.

In my case the PE's generally don't have differences that I'm interested in

Last edited:

BigDoug1053

Silver Supporting Member
Always enjoy seeing your Gretsch Doug - you've got real beauties :)

On the PE upgrades issue - as you know many of us gretsch owners install small things like locking tuners for a lot less $$ than buying a PE. Most PE's have a few different specs to the stock 61 series prolines but it's easy and cheap to adjust a few things on the prolines anytime if you want.

In my case the PE's generally don't have differences that I'm interested in
Thanks, brother. I am thankful I have been able to enjoy these guitars. I agree that the PE upgrades are not worth the extra cost vs. upgrading ourselves. I just end up buying a PE if it meets my budget limitations. I am currently lusting for a Dynasonic Jet, so am looking at several guitars now... All the best!

Omega

I’ve been thinking about a Black Falcon. Is the player’s edition a good representation of this? Or should I look for a 6136 / 7??? (Can’t remember the number - the one with the large fret markers)?

Also, who are the better dealers for Gretschs?

Trending Topics