Gretsch Recommendatioins???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Nickcha, May 13, 2005.

1. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

What do you guys think of the new Gretsch Guitars, since Fender bought them?

I've never owned one but always been attracted to them. I understand their quality has not always been good - or at least I'm heard that over the years.

I played a nice small dbl cutaway at GC the other day and really liked it. With the TV Jones pups it had a lot of depth as well as the classic twang.

Anyone got exerience with them? Models you like to recommend?

2. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Depends on exactly what sound you're looking for... solid-body, semi-hollow, or full hollow...

you might also poke around at

www.gretschpages.com

3. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i really really like all of the hollowbody and semi-hollows that gretsch makes. the tenessean which is now called the tennesse rose is probably my favorite, and it's not terribly expensive (around 2k). i've enjoyed every new gretsch i've had the luck to play.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a 6120-1960 RI for almost two years. Great guitar!

They do not come ready to play out of the box and need a bit of set up work, so use a dealer who promise to ship it ready to rock or pay to have it done.

I did refret mine, pin the bridge and swap pickups w/ TV Jones. It's a dream guitar that I really dig. Don't foresee myself selling it - in the near future ;). It's a quirky axe but overall pretty versatile and a fricken boner blaster to play.

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Chris,
    I had one of those Blue Pearl Jets too! Great guitar, but needed the tunomatic bridge, and sperzel tuners. I sold it...but now have a Setzer Signature 6120 that I really dig (Bought used, and it already had the fretwork redone).
    S.
    j

6. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

I'd be looking for a hollow body.

What should I look for and what should I avoid? I like FAT neck guitars - don't care for slim-fast necks at all. I like a robust but very vocal sounding guitar - not just twangy and not muddy, dark and non-resonant. I use early Fawn JMI AC30s and '67 Plexis.

What bridges are good/reliable - which ones should be avoided?

I'm assuming TV Jones pups are a must.

I usually end up upgrading my guitars with tone caps, pots, pups and bridges. What Gretschs already have the needed upgrades? What are the necessary upgrades if they don't provided them?

The Setzer 6120SSVLO looked pretty good to me.

Thanks for your answers. I know these are a looad of questions but I'm trying to save myself the time and money of going through a couple of these before getting what I really want.

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

The Koll Gliders are pretty tasty dishes, also.

8. dan-o-guitar

dan-o-guitar Member

In February I bought a Setzer Signature 6120 fresh off the wall at WalMart (er... Guitar Center). It was flawless and perfectly set up from day one. It is now my favorite guitar of all time. Only my Tele comes close.

Really nicely made, plays great, and tons of mojo.

I think my next guitar will be another Gretsch.

9. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Nick, i see you have a preference for BIG necks (like me).

Almost all Gretsches (old or reissue) have slim necks, so you might like to keep that in mind.

I used to have a reissue 6120-Nashville. Lovely guitar, looked fantastic, sounded good, but i had to sell it because i couldn't play the neck comfortably (it was ibanez shred guitar thin to me!). I regretted buying that guitar online sight-unseen.

If you like a bigger neck on a rockabilly guitar, i'd suggest looking for and trying a Guild X-160 Rockabilly. Hotrod red or orange finishes, DeArmond single coils and bigsby. They have a rounded neck carve similar to a Gibson 50's shape. These usually cost less than a new reissue Gretsch too.

http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/me...e=360-8600&Category_Code=GE&Store_Code=D00106

i think Fender has discontinued these after buying Gretsch, the model isn't on the Guild site anymore.

the Kolls look mighty fine too :D

Edit: didn't see Nick's post on BIG necks earlier on

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

A Gretsch is a good option but I'm the only one in the world with a Jackie-Jet. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Nice Jon!
    S.
    j

Nickcha...TV Jones IS the only way to go, IMO...
    :cool:

12. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

they're really versatile guitars too, despite what most people think. the beatles, chet atkins, ac/dc, and the jesus and mary chain really have nothing in common tonewise but all produced stellar results with those filtertrons and holowbodies.

13. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

I bought my first Gretsch last year after extensive study of all the features/models. Even after all that, I am still disappointed in what I have.
    The model I chose was the G6118T-120, the yellow bamboo/copper mist annie. Absolutely beautiful guitar, wonderful tone from the TV Jones pickups. Lots of cool vibe. But it will not stay in tune. To me, that is a pretty basic function of an instrument at this price point. A half-step bend on string 3 and string 4 goes way flat. Will not return to pitch after slight use of the Bigsby.
    I am going in for another setup and adjustment soon. I think the blame is with the cheap-ass Grover sta-tite tuners and the rocking bar bridge. Also I think the pickups are too close to the strings. I really hope a better setup will solve the tuning issue because it otherwise plays, sounds and looks great.
    I would suggest looking for a model with better tuners, adjusto-matic bridge and study carefully the confusing array of different switch and pot configurations to get maximum flexibility. Some models are really just one-trick ponies. Also notice that scale length varies from 24.6" to 25.5" depending on model and some artist models are different from that.

14. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

This Setzer 6120ssvlo looks pretty good to me. It's nitro finished, locking Sperzel tuners, better bridge, TV Jones pups...

I guess I need to go where there are some of these and just play 'em.

15. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I've always loved Gretsches; there's just nothing else that sounds like one. Of the current models, I dig the White Falcon the most because...heck, it's a Falcon. The most-playable of the bunch design-wise is the Brian Setzer, as the upgrades to make it a working guitar are already done. My biggest problem is paying PRS money for Oriental construction, no matter how good/bad.
    By the way, I think they've taken a cue from Gibson in that their factory "setups" are atrocious, as is the fretwork in a lot of cases. Wonderful buying a brand-new multi-thousand-dollar guitar that needs a fret plane and recrown and a full setup to make it playable out of the box!-Eric

16. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

Recently bought a Country Classic (G. Harrison Model) and a
    6120JR. The Country Classic has a big round and full tone
    ideal for chord work. The 6120JR is a 6120 with a smaller scale
    body and boy does this guitar rock. It has a punchier tighter focus
    than the bigger hollowbodies and can give you a Tele twang
    to a tight singing lead tone and is also great for chording. I'm
    in love with both. The Country Club=traditional beautiful Gretsch,
    the 6120JR=the logical evolution for Gretsch.

17. WayneM

WayneM Member

I just recently bought a 6120Jr (post Fender change over) and I think it is just great. When Fender took over, they changed the pickups from ceramic to alnico magnets and made a few other changes. This one sounds super and stays in tune!

Most of the junior models have been discontinued by Fender recently. Too bad.

18. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

WayneM,

They just put the 6120JR and one other model, I believe an
    AniversaryJR, back into production. I ordered another 6120JR
    yesterday and will have it on Tuesday. The info is not on
    their website yet, but their sales reps are pushing them.

19. Ogre

Ogre Member

Pickups too close to the strings? That will have NO effect on tuning, as far as a Gretsch goes. I would replace your funky bridge with a tune-omatic,(sp?) and put some graphite on the slots in the bridge pieces. If you are stringing the guitar properly, I doubt that the Grovers are at fault.
    To the person who thinks "Asian" construction is inferior to USA-made, I strongly suggest a reality check. Many Japanese-made guitars are superior in quality. In my lengthy experience with Gretsch guitars, the Japanese models are vastly superior to the old Gretsch guitars of yore.

20. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

CliffC

I can't find a pic of the 6120JR. Do you have one you can share?