Gretsch Recommendatioins???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Nickcha, May 13, 2005.

1. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

Can send you pictures on Monday when I'm back at the
    studio. Just email me a reminder.

This is one guitar that truly sounds and plays as good as it looks and it looks incredible.

2. rickkane32

rickkane32 Member

About 6 mos ago I purchased a new Setzer 6120-SSLVO. You cannot go wrong with this one. I was consdering other cheaper models and just upgrading over time, but I really did not feel it was worth the time. No upgrades to make on this guitar at all. PUPS are fantastic, bridge is solid, Sperzel locking tuners, etc.. Oh and did I mention the Vintage Orange is to die for. They even ship the guiatr with Schaller straplocks:) Good luck, hope you get a SSLVO.

rickkane32

3. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

Rick,

What's the neck like. I know Gretsches don't have fat necks but is this one at least a bit thicker than a Gibson Slim profile neck? I can get one of these new w/ case for about $2450. Is that a good deal?

4. rickkane32

rickkane32 Member

I have a 61' Gibson SG and the Gretsch neck is similar in width but the shape of the neck is much more of a V on the Gretsch. I paid $2200 for mine, but there was a very small ding on the face of the headstock and one of the f-holes had some slight warping. For me it was worth saving the dough. $2450 is very reasonable though.

rickkane32

5. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

Rick,

As I recall, the early SGs had a fairly wide neck, which is fine with me. I have a 335 Dot RI with the '60 profile neck and I have to really pay attention when I'm playing it, not to mash on the chords or pull the neck because it pulls out of tune so easily. That's the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks,
    Nick

6. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

The Gretsch necks have a much healthier taper than the early
    60's Gibson slim taper. I would say that the new Gretsch's
    have a nice rounded medium taper. I played at least a dozen
    different current production models and found that there was
    a good level of consistency and the few that felt a little off
    were easily set straight with the slightest of setup adjustments.

These are top quality front line guitars, not cheap foreign
    knock offs by any means. Solid build quality, beautiful
    appointments and great tone and playability. I never considered
    myself to be a Gretsch style player, but that has all changed
    since last week when I went to pick up a Tele and left with
    the vintage Tele and 2 new Gretsch guitars.

7. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

Now Cliff, you stop tempting me ;)

8. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

I don't even get a sales commission!!!!!

I just absolutely fell in love with the Country Classic and the
    6120JR and could not decide which to take so they both came
    home. The Country Classic for rhythm and the 6120JR for
    pickin and soloing.

9. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

Cliff,

Did you get the 1962 Country Classic or the regular one?

Nick

10. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

The regular one with the neck joint at the 18th fret. Plays like
    a dream. Big fat tone with great definition and clarity.

Much better without the zero fret. Makes a world of difference.

11. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

for $800, those electromatic hollowbodies are neat little guitars. those dearmond 2k pickups really sound nice through a twin. they can get some very nice feedback too.

12. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

Nickcha, I'll have those pics on their way to you tomorrow.
    Tuesday the 17th. I will do my best to help throw you deeper
    in debt.

13. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Great guitars, seems that have been getting more value on the last couple of years for years they were not getting much but lately they have a little bust, anyway, I have a 1979 blonde country club in near mint condition, it alos have the slim neck, I will maybe sell it to finance something else (due to wife, and a little big collection that I already have). I hate to sell but it may be now a good time for the Gretsch vintage guitars.

By the way I remember when I purchase this one from a friend, the first time I opned the case... wow it really impress.:dude

14. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Played few new Gretsch guitars recently and I admit they are well built and exceptionally enjoyable to play.
    I have few older models and it seems that they even improved with modern production.

15. jklotz

jklotz Member

This thread was from 2005! Talk about bringing back from the dead! My guess is the op probably already made a decision!

16. BoringPostcards

BoringPostcards Member

12 year old necro. Rare necro.

17. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I just saw that this thread was from 12 years ago, but in case the OP is still out there, here goes:

You may not want a pro line Gretsch given your comments. The necks are like little skinny pencils. No fat necks on any of the pro lines. The guitars are made in the Terada factory in Japan, and are handmade, so the necks are shaped by hand, not a machine. I wrote a letter six weeks to Joe Carducci at Gretsch asking why they couldn't make a guitar with a fatter neck. No reply.

A lot of guys upgrade the bridges to Comptons, and if the bridge base doesn't come pinned, you should have that done. Gretsch hollowbodies seem to play better with heavy gauge strings-11s and up-9s are impossible, and 10s might be too. If you don't pin the bridge down, it may move around when you bend strings.

Lots of guys upgrade the pots and wiring and slap TV Jones pickups in there, but if you're spending $2000 or so on a high end guitar, why should you have to do that? I've owned four Silver Jets and two 6118T Anniversarys and sold every one. As we speak, I'm having a Billy Bo custom made for me by a friend in Michigan. It's got the fat neck I like, and it's costing me a fraction of a Gretsch Billy Bo. Another complaint of mine is that Gretsch pro line guitars have gotten too expensive. That's a common beef among Gretsch players.

I'd recommend you test out some Gretsches before you buy one, or buy one from a dealer with a return policy. The best Gretsch dealer in the country is Rocky Schiano from Street Sounds in Brooklyn, NY. Shaghai Music and Cream City are also reputable Gretsch dealers.

18. senojnad

senojnad Member

I've owned/played Gretsch guitars for about 60 years. They went through some quality control issues when Baldwin took over the company over 40 years ago and they eventually disappeared. Fred Gretsch bought the company back in the mid-/late 1980's. Since Fender got involved (2003??) the quality and consistency has improved drastically.

Your best bet is to tour local shops, etc. and play as many as you can get your hands on. The "best" models are in the "Professional" collection which has 4 "Editions": "Vintage Select" ($$$$ -- very accurate recreations of vintage models, if that's important), "Players", "Limited" and "Artist Signature". http://www.gretschguitars.com/

I agree the The Gretsch Pages -- http://gretschpages.com/ -- is an excellent resource. It is always a very friendly place as well.

Hollow bodies -- I currently have a 6122-1959 Country Gent and a new Broadkaster JR recently reviewed here...... https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...tsch-broadkaster-jr-road-test-report.1815335/
    The Gent has been my favorite guitar, maybe of all time. The Broadkaster is catching up fast......

19. senojnad

senojnad Member

Pickups -- Lots of debates there, but it comes down to personal tastes and what sounds good to your ears. I would guess most Gretsch players would favor TV Jones pickups over stock pickups. Some Gretsch models include TV Jones pickups.

You can also search the Gretsch Co. website for their "Professional" collection. That will include ALL models including some that are not part of the "Editions" mentioned in my prior post.