Gretsch Reissue Blues

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by drbob1, Mar 12, 2006.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

In the sense of playing them, not feeling them! I recently fell in love with a Gresch Duojet reissue (with the Bigsby) and played it out (in church) for the first time today-Gretsch->Zim->Barber Burn Unit->Akai Headrush->Vox AC30. I can understand the Beatles fascination with these little things-a very distinctive, percussive tone that cut thru very well. Not as much noise as I expected from SC pickup, enough guts to push the amp and overdrives very nicely. Set up and played just fine from the factory (I MIGHT decide on just a hair more neck relief since I have a bit of a heavy hand but it's really close). And even reasonable bends (a full step) and slighty Bigsby abuse didn't bother the tuning. For a japanese made guitar, they're pricey in the $3k range, but they seem to be worth it!

2. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

They rock

& roll!

3. photoguy

photoguy Member

I reluctantly sold my DuoJet recently...but, only to finance the purchase of another guitar. It was a great guitar and the new owner is thrilled to have it. Mine had the Dynasonics and really delivered that early 60's Beatle sound. Mine had a little Beatle mojo as well...I'd picked it up from a UK band called the Beatalls who had played it in the Cavern and Jacaranda Club!

4. drolling

drolling Member

You said it, doc!

*That Great Gretsch Sound* is not hype. The distinctive tones of Dynas & F'Trons are every bit as classic as the best of Fender, Gibson or Rickenbacker. Love the DeArmond 2000 loaded Korean stuff too!

5. drbob1

I guess this one is a recreation of the beatles guitar since in has a Bigsby and a straight bar bridge, but has v/v/t on the lower bout, master volume and 3 way (56-57 controls, 58 tremelo and I don't think the bar bridge was ever stock on a Duojet).

6. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

And don't forget those essential elements - TV Jones pups. No kidding, they get you there.

Jet

7. photoguy

photoguy Member

8. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

You mean like this one, on the Electromatic?

EDIT: NEver mind. I see what you mean...forget I spoke. :eek:

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Me too. AND the Tele-Sonic makes great use of those DeArmond 2Ks.

I'm trying to figure out how to get DeArmond 2Ks into an Anderson Cobra without re-routing it. Trouble is the 2Ks are not quite humbucker or P-90 or mini-humbucker form factor.

I asked Anderson if they would do a Cobra with them, they said no. They wouldn't do Filtertrons either but TV Jones makes a humbucker form factor Filtertron. I will surely get around to that adventure some day.

These pickups deserve great respect; in Gretsch guitars, and in other maker's guitars.

10. drbob1

Yes, that's the one-6128TSP. The original must have been modified at some point since those features were never available together on a guitar IIRC.