Gretsch White Falcon vs. Falcon centerblock

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by James M, Apr 29, 2016.

1. James M

James M Silver Supporting Member

Hi there...interested in a Gretsch, but not sure if I should get a standard Falcon/Duffy, or a centerblock model (G6139T-CBDC). I play a lot of clean stuff, but also use OD/distortion; heaviest tones are David Gilmour-type leads with a Muff/Rat into a clean amp.

I'm worried about feedback, and can't figure out from the threads I've searched how real a problem this is...I know that Ted Nugent and others (including Duffy) have rocked full hollowbodies, but I've only used 335s and never a full hollow, so I don't know how much of a concern this is.

Thanks!

Edit: Also just discovered the G6136T Players Edition, which is thinner (no center block) and apparently more feedback tolerant....I'd appreciate any thoughts on this one too.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

With the Falcons, you have some models with "Tone Post" bracing, some with Trestle bracing, and now the center-block models. The tone post models (like the Duffy Sig. model) will be the least feedback resistant. That being said, I have owned 2 Falcons with tone post bracing and never had feedback issues unless I was standing right in front of my amp with the gain up. All 3 different style bracing will give you different tones. I preferred the tone post because I felt it sounded bigger and more "airy" I guess. It just sounded like a big hollowbody should IMO. As a side benefit, less wood means less weight.

The trestle braced guitars are nice too. They are a little brighter and tighter bottom end. I haven't had the chance to play any of the center block Falcons yet, but the Panther was a great sounding guitar so I'd imagine the Falcons are similar.

One other important difference on the Center Block models is the size and scale length. The normal falcons are a 17" body and 25.5" scale. The center block Falcons are 16" bodies and 24.6" scale. The smaller body definitely would be noticeable and easier to deal with for most people I'd imagine.

Id recommend playing any of them you can get your hands on. The guitar center by me has a platinum room and they keep several of the models in stock. Hopefully you have a similar option.

3. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I own 2 Gretsch - a Jet 6131 and a mod'ed G5422 and have played most models over past 5 yrs
    I was concerned about feedback & play rock n blues with mid-high gain mostly.
    The new centre block models are too heavy for me - they weigh about same as a Les Paul.

Best option by far for anti feedback with no extra weight are the Trestle bracing models imo.
    If they make a Falcon with Trestle bracing grab it - issue solved.
    Gretsch do Trestle bracing in the Setzer 6120's models so the Nashville & Hot Rods are my fav's partly for this reason.
    I think these 6120 Hot Rods also sound better than Falcons due to the TV Jones Setzer sig pups but they don't have that Falcon style :)
    http://www.gretschguitars.com/produ...d-with-bigsby-tv-jones-setzer-pickups-blonde/

But then I found the Gretsch hollow bodies don't feedback much anyway & it's easy to control so I went with the hollow G5422 TDC recently.
    Feedback is no issue for me so far on high gain & volume.
    But if it becomes an issue in the future I'll just stick these Dougs Plugs in it :)

http://www.dougsplugs.com/

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  4. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

I gig regularly with my setzer hot rod, which is tressel braced. It does feed back, but in a very controlable, musical way. To me, the center block ones feel a little dead. It just chokes it too much. My next Gretsch will be a tone post model.

5. James M

Awesome info guys, thanks!

Any idea about these? From what i can tell they are thinner than a standard Falcon but with no block:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G6136TWHT

Description says the thinner body is more feedback resistant but still hollow.

6. wilblee

wilblee Hack sans shame Gold Supporting Member

I own, and gig, a Duffy Falcon. It will feedback, left to its own devices, but it can be controlled fairly easily (otherwise I wouldn't deal with it). It's a lovely beast of a guitar that I will never let go.

7. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

I dunno man. I had a 130th anni jr for a while. It was a very cool guitar, but something about that smaller, thinner body shape just didn't have the same feel. Any shops that carry a few different gretch's you can go to in DC? You have to play them to see what I mean. That's not to say that might not be the perfect guitar for you, but at least go play a 6120 or a full size Falcon so you know what some of us here are talking about. YMMV

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    That Players Edition 6136 looks great to me but it will be more $$ probably.
    I went for a thinner body design when I decided on my G5422 - it does reduce feedback some & also changes the tone a little from the fatter models.
    Not a better or worse tone change imo - just different.
    The string thru bigsby is also a good new feature - will make re-stringing easier & faster

You need to go test them out and decide for yourself - there's gotta 1000s of Gretsch's in W DC

9. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

OP,

Head down to Action Music in Falls Church. They have some models you can test out and see if they work for you. Pretty sure they have a Falcon when I stopped by last week.

10. James M

Awesome...thanks guys! I'll go try some out and see what's what.

11. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

I have a 6120, which is a less belonged out version of a falcon. Uncontrollable feedback has never been in issue. As I think of it, the only time it's ever fed back that I didn't go out of my way to make it was when I was standing on stage right in front of my dc30 that was cranked.