Gretsch wiring help

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by lukian, Jul 10, 2017.

1. lukian

lukian Member

I am trying to install some push pull pots into my Grestch g5420t, but due to the fairly odd electronics layout of the Gretsches (2 pickup volumes, 1 master tone, 1 master volume) I am struggling to find a perfect wiring diagram.
    [​IMG]
    This is the original wiring diagram. The master volume and tone are both after the pickup selector switch. My plan is to make both individual volumes coil splits, and the tone knob a phase switch. This is the closest diagram I could find to what I have, but I'm not 100% it's what I need:
    [​IMG]
    I figure I could use this and wire the master volume after the pickup switch as per usual. The issue I have is with the tone pot. On the original wiring it comes after the switch, whereas on this one it comes after. Will that make any difference? I'm also not sure how it connects to the bridge pickup. To me it looks like it is only connected to the neck pickup, as only the ground of the bridge is wired to it. I'm no wiring expert, so it is very possible it does but I just don't know what I'm looking for.

2. MWaldorf

MWaldorf Member

I think you've got it right. The push pull phase switch on the tone control is actually a separate control from the tone pot and it's physical location doesn't affect its placement in the wiring order.

Not many people coil tap Filtertrons because the output is low, but personally, I like the split sound and you can always offset the drop with a boost pedal.

lukian likes this.