Gretsch Wiring/Pots Question on the Volume Knobs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by mtmartin71, Sep 18, 2008.

1. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Gretsch Power Jet with the traditional Jet setup...master volume, neck volume, bridge volume, tone selector switch, and pickup selector switch. What really sucks (literally) is that whenever I roll off the master or the individual volumes, the tone because VERY muddy and rolls off almost immediately. It really makes it useless to me to play with guitar volume for a cleans to lead/crunch approach. Wide open though, the guitar sounds amazing. Is there anyway to modify that setup? I could actually live without the master volume if necessary.

2. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

I'm on the same page here with a 6120, the master's not the problem though as I already bypassed it, I think the pots need to be changed, and I will likely add treble bypass caps too. I'm trying to come up with a better optimization of the available controls as the mud switch isn't turning my crank either. Some people add a coil to get a couple of varitone selections:stir

I have a tonestyler in series where the master volume was (low cut) and while this is amazing on my dano 12-string, the jury's out on the gretsch, maybe a reverend style low cut would be better

Any ideas?

Andy

3. mtmartin71

Hmmm....

I guess most Gretsch owners don't care? I've just settled on running wide open with this guitar. I actually like the tone selector in the down position but don't care for it in the up position much.

4. mtmartin71

Well, I received some information from RS Guitarworks on this topic. Here's how someone set up their Gretsch using an RS kit, per someone who works at RS Guitarworks:

Actually, this sounds like a pretty good option although I admit that I dig the tone in the down position on my Power Jet for some heavier stuff. Obviously this is not a purist method for solving the issue.

5. 909one

909one Member

Gretsch stock tone and volume controls are weird to me.
    I always change them out. I haven't quite yet figure out the best parts yet.

6. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

The V/explorer kit has knurled shafts, the gretsch knobs need solid shaft pots

Andy

7. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

I have thought of upgrading the pots & stuff in my RHH too. I know that TV Jones sells some parts. I wonder what they recommend?

8. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member

I did the treble bleed mod on the master volume on my PowerJet--made a big difference!

9. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

If you use the right high pass cap it will not be muddy, try a .001.

10. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member