Gries 15 - anyone have recent experience with one?

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Thinking of getting a Gries 15, some old threads out there, wondering if anyone owns one and would care to comment on likes/dislikes/anything since its been awhile?

Lots of positives on the Gries 5. I need a master volume and some decent clean headroom...thought the 5 might not stay clean with a drummer...we don't play super loud and only small venues....

Interested to hear from you guys

AA864

I have a Gries 15 and play it regularly at a weekly bar gig. I also have a G12 and usually pick one or the other to do the gig depending on my mood and choice of guitar that night. I don't have enough stage space to run both amps easily.

The G15 gives a nice JTM sound in a small 15 watt package. The MV works very well. The amp is plenty loud for bar gigs. I play with the MV on 3 most of the time with plenty of room to turn it up if needed. With the stock tubes (12AX7) it has that characteristic Marshally sound and lacks a bit of clean headroom (lots of gain). Dave suggested to me that I switch out a pre tube for a 12AY7 to cut the gain stage in half. I am tempted to try it, but I don't want to loose the characteristic sound, and I can always just use my G12 to get BF cleans.

Overall, I am more of a BF type guy and love the G12 + pedals for my playing style, but I do like to dip into JTM tones too and using the MV in a club is very handy to stay in the mix.

The amp has a normal & bright channel and I've effectively used it with an A/B switch to channel switch during a show. I've also jumpered the channels to give me more gain and just roll it off with the guitars volume. This works well and is a much simpler way to go for me on stage.

My G12 has a scumback 12 (M75-25). The G15 has a Tonkerlite. I like the Scumback, which I had Dave custom build for me when he was building my 12. I bought the 15 used and it came with the Tonkerlite. If I were to have Dave build one, I'd use a Scumback or perhaps a V30. The used one I bought here from a TGP'r was build #1. I contacted Dave to verify this during the transaction.

Dave is a class act and a man of his word. If you have any questions he is easy to contact and offers up any info you may need. He builds quality products and stays true to the original design and sound of the amps.

Given your " I need a master volume and some decent clean headroom.." comment, you may want to look at the Gries 35 (BF tones + MV, think Vibrolux). If you seek a high quality JTM combo, buy a G15. Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the amp.

GTRJohnny

I too have a Gries 12 and would agree w/ AA864 on his summary. You can always throw a pedal in the mix, but you can't get more clean headroom in a bigger room without a) micing and keeping the amp low or b) getting a bigger amp. I love the 12 and have been playing it to death, but it's probably not enough if you really need sparkly cleans.

I also agree with opinions on Dave. He's very easy to work with, and even tweeked my verb to be less "surfy". I am blown away by how noise-free my amp is circuit-wise. I have never played another BF design that was this quiet.

I ended up with a custom low-watt American-style speaker from WGS, and I could not be happier. It's a great sounding little combo. I am also looking at the 15. I'm weighing that against doing the pedal thing to get closer to Marshall territory. Good luck on your search.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Not on the 15. Mine is the Gries 20, first one made. What a cool amp. One of the best in amp reverbs I've ever heard.
MD

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
I can offer this to a fellow New Jersian, don't hesitate to buy a Gries amp. I currently own a Gries JW45 (JTM 45 clone). It is a well built great sounding amp. Dave is responsive and a pleasure to deal with.

Thinking of getting a Gries 15, some old threads out there, wondering if anyone owns one and would care to comment on likes/dislikes/anything since its been awhile?

Lots of positives on the Gries 5. I need a master volume and some decent clean headroom...thought the 5 might not stay clean with a drummer...we don't play super loud and only small venues....

Interested to hear from you guys

Trending Topics