Gries 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alfredcurri, Apr 3, 2011.

1. alfredcurri

alfredcurri Member

Ofcourse there is nowhere to try this amp.The other Gries amps have great reviews.Anyone played one of these? Is there much headroom and how are the cleans-I assume the break up is great.
    Thanks

2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

There is a place to try it- your house!

Kidding (not totally though).
    This one is a temptation to me too.

I have the Gries JW45 and it's so rewarding.

A couple of owners here so you'll get some first hand takes on it.

3. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

I don't usually get time to post much. But since I'm currently taking a little break from my boards (hanging loose in Maui), I would love to offer my thoughts. I don't know how many of these Dave has built, it's his newest model, so I don't suspect there will be too many people that can offer their opinion. So, like you, I was unable to try it out in person. I took the chance and bought one based solely on Dave's reputation and what I was able to read. I'm sooo glad I did.

First of all, let me say I am a firm believer that there are a lot of variables that come into play when judging amplifiers and the tone they produce. One of the biggest factors that I feel is often overlooked is how it's being used. That being said, I'm a pedal guy. I suppose I should be since I build pedalboards.;) So what I was looking for was a fat, clean tone at small studio volume. My man cave is barely 9 x 14. For me, I like a lot of variety with simplicity. So again, I like a clean amp that makes all my cool pedals shine. I don't want any dirt from the amp messing with my pedals. Give me that clean signal path without the complications that come with multiple channels and effects loops.

Over the years I have been fortunate enough to own some great amps. Mesas, Riveras, three different Fuchs (all awesome) and most recently a Fender twin, '67 Bassman, and a couple Princetons. With the advances in pedals overall and especially in reverb pedals, I finally picked up a '67 Bassman. An amp I avoided a long time cause it had no reverb. Silly me. Holy crap what a monster with a Strymon Blue Sky. But now that I don't play out, it was just too much power for my little room. Hard to let go of such a cool amp. But the 15 made it easier than I thought it would be.

When I first looked at Dave's site I felt like I was at Taco Bell. Everything on the menu looked good (I know sick huh?:p). I could really like every model he builds. I was kinda zeroing in on the 5, then he introduced the 15. I was a little hesitant as I was not sure if the clean from a tweed style Bassman (the 15 is based on the '58 bassman circut) would be as pleasing to me as the blackface Bassman. Well, those worries were dashed in about 2 minutes. BTW the cabinet and speaker are the same that I used with the '67 Bassman. I can't imagine a fatter clean tone right down to conversation level. I love that the amp can be setup to stay clean allowing all of my pedals to sound absolutely hands down the best they ever have. Headroom? More than you would expect from 15 watts. Again, lots of variables here, but I feel pretty safe in saying it would hold up just fine in small clubs. For comparison my Princeton can get loud enough for a small club, but anything past 3 or 4 and pedals start to sound like crap with the gain that comes on so soon. So with pedals, no it wouldn't work for me in a club. The Gries on the other hand would get me to that level and still sound awesome with pedals.

It's hard to fairly describe what I am hearing, but to my ears the 15 is very responsive to pic attack without being so much so as to give a hack like me fits. It's really a beautiful thing. I am able to control everything so much easier than ever before. Everything just seems so balanced. Fat, bold, and yet polite. I friggen love it. It just seems like I hear more of what I want or hope to hear and less of what I don't want to hear. Crazy

Drop my cool pedals in front of the 15 and I have so many beautiful sounds available it's amazing. I can't get enough of it. And again it has the simplicty that I demand. I hate complicated set-ups.

Yes, dare I say it..... this may be the perfect amp for me.

Incredible tone and build quality at a very reasonable price. Coming from a guy that builds all his own amps. Gotta love that.

Here's a pic of my tone nirvana.:drool

[​IMG]

4. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

Anyone else lucky enough to own one of these yet?

5. bluesjuke

I've seen another owner post about the 15 here not that long ago.
    Maybe 2 months ago tops.

6. playthecray

playthecray Member

I am considering a JTM45 clone. I traded several emails with Dave inquiring about both the 15 and the JW45 head models. He was extremely responsive and answered all of my questions. The Gries 15 is tempting, however because the lower power may be better suited for my needs right now. I also like the character of 6V6 tubes quite a bit.

7. bluesjuke

I can second that communication with Dave is a pleasant experience & not lacking in any way.

8. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

This amp in combo form is really tempting me. The mini-Marshall meets Bassman thing is just too cool... especially with 6V6s! :)

9. jetattblue

jetattblue Member

Excellent review, Pumaman. I like how you outline your goals and needs first; that really set the context.

And a bump for Gries amps.

10. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

We gotta get some clips for the Gries 15... come on people... :)

11. alfredcurri

alfredcurri Member

Thanks Pumaman for a fine review. I wish all mfrs would have some clips on their site - especially with amps that are rare.

12. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Bumping this thread for any new owners...

13. murphymendez

murphymendez Member

Just picked one up this morning from a follow TGPer. 12" combo with a matching 12" extension. While I only had a brief chance to feel it out, I was immediately hooked. I will get some photos posted and provide additional color once I've had a chance to experiment!

Murph

14. StratsRfun

StratsRfun Member

I would love to hear more about this amp. I am familiar with the quality of Dave's amps (I have owned a Gries 5 for many years), but there is so little information available on this model.

15. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I'd like to hear more reviews of Gries amps also. I'm looking at the Twelve Tube Reverb or the Five Tube Amplifier (for that Fender Blackface sound). The Five seems to get a lot of great reviews. I play at home 99% of the time so 5 watts is plenty. I use reverb and tremolo pedals with my other amps, so that's not a big issue.

16. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Ended up getting a Gries 5. Excellent choice if I do say so myself! Incredible value. I was thinking about a Marshall JTM 45 handwired but the prices for those are astronomical. Now I'm looking at the Gries 15. Again, for the price, it looks to be an incredible value. How well does it do the JTM tone? The only demo I've seen of it is from the Gries website. Would love to hear others. Anybody with comments/opinions?

Thanks.
    Pete

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Just an update from the older posts in this thread. The Gries 15 has been tweaked and is now rated at 20 watts and comes stock with a Celestion Creamback, one hell of a deal. I want one! Someday...hopefully...

pete12string likes this.