Gries 5 Clippage

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Gasp100, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I got my Gries 5 on Monday and I've been having a blast with it. I figured I'd take a shot at recording some clips because they were few and far between while I was researching these great amps. I tried to be as bare bones as possible to provide ideas of some of the raw amp tones available and how they work with the guitars I currently own. So, I have clips with my G&L ASAT Bluesboy (Tele) and my G&L Legacy (Strat). The specs on the recordings are:
    Guitar -> Amp : AKG C3000 (pretty cheap condenser mic) -> Seasound Solo preamp/soundcard (an oldie but still decent) -> Sonar
    That's it, NO post verb, EQ, mixing, etc... it's just me playing guitar and wanking a few ideas that I mess around with sometimes. Please forgive my clams :worried <sorry, no humbucker guitars in the house right now :(>
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=770970&content=music

2. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Thanks for this. Always great ot hear different amps. Never heard of the make before

There's a quality about this amp I realy like. Spongey - has that wonderful sag or give in it.

nice clippage.

3. Twin63

Twin63 Member

Great clips Greg. I also use a G&L Legacy with my Gries 5, but sounds like I need to pick up a tele!

4. straticus

straticus Member

Nice. That thing sounds great!

I sure would like to hear it with some humbuckers.

5. Gasp100

Thanks fellas! A humbucker guitar is on my shortlist for wants... should be bonus time at work soon, but no guarantees :nono

6. Gasp100

Here is the beginning of the tune with rough guitar tracks inspired by just plugging in and playing with the Gries 5. I wanted to see if I could get nice rhythm gain to use in a more modern context. Just 2 guitar parts with reverb and some light delay added for color. It's rough, but the Gries sounds pretty cool beyond just breaking up imo:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6272778

7. jkamp20

jkamp20 Member

Simply just loving the new "gainier" track.