Gries 5 clippage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

I posted this in the sound clips forum but figured I'd double it up here in case anyone hasn't heard these killer amps... my tracks don't do them enough justic, but they give you a glimpse of how great these are:

I got my Gries 5 on Monday and I've been having a blast with it. I figured I'd take a shot at recording some clips because they were few and far between while I was researching these great amps. I tried to be as bare bones as possible to provide ideas of some of the raw amp tones available and how they work with the guitars I currently own. So, I have clips with my G&L ASAT Bluesboy (Tele) and my G&L Legacy (Strat). The specs on the recordings are:
    Guitar -> Amp : AKG C3000 (pretty cheap condenser mic) -> Seasound Solo preamp/soundcard (an oldie but still decent) -> Sonar
    That's it, NO post verb, EQ, mixing, etc... it's just me playing guitar and wanking a few ideas that I mess around with sometimes. Please forgive my clams :worried <sorry, no humbucker guitars in the house right now :(>
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

2. jkamp20

jkamp20 Member

Nice clips! You play great and I've been wanting to hear some clips of the Gries 5! Keep it up.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Thanks! The clips are just a mere representation of the quality of this amp. I wanted them to be completely pure and simple, but I do need to pick up some type of cool delay or something to get similar effect to what Fargen is doing in his demo of the Fargen Mini Plex II (single coil version). I think it's a Roland Space Echo or something? I think something like that in front of the Gries 5 (and of course with the Fargen Mini Plex II) is just awesome. As you can tell now that I have the Blackface thing going I'm gassing for a miniplex II (or something similar). Check out this clip, sweet!

http://www.nme.com/video/id/XmnlFTUlSbU/search/mk-ii

4. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

GREAT clips of the Gries 5! I think you really do a great job with the range of tones available from sweet cleans to gritty tweedy overdriven sounds...really nice range of playing as well with everything from jazzy chords to bluesy stuff to modern rock sounds...you should definitely make more clips so that more people can hear this great amp! maybe something with humbuckers?

I am very confident that there would be even more interest in the Gries 5 if clips like this were easily accessible. I just noticed that there are a few clips of the Gries 5 on the Gries website now...you might consider contacting Dave Gries and seeing if these or some other clips could be put up on his site...

Keep 'em coming! maybe some more with various pedals as well as the amp does so well with a range of pedals.

5. DemonOfTheFall

DemonOfTheFall Member

That was excellent! Strange thing was that I was at the Gries website when I saw the sounds section. Did a search on TGP and found your thread :)

Great playing - what were your settings? I'm quite sure that this amp is going to get a lot more interest now.

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Thanks guys! I actually emailed Dave Gries asking for permission to post clips (he was really cool, had no issues whatsoever) and he asked me for the link to the soundclick page so he could add it to his site as well.
    As far as settings, the amp is so basic it's great. I really just followed the directions in his 3 page manual to start:

Squeaky clean: volume - 2, gain - 0, master - 10 (treb/bass - 5)
    Tele w/ hair: start adding some gain and turning down the MV
    Tele/Strat gain: volume around 5, gain - 10, turn the MV down to get the volume you want
    The last clip using the Crunchbox was the Squeaky Clean setting and all pedal.

The amp is so simple, but you can pull so many tones out of it I love it. I have a Timmy on the way and I'm very interested to hear how that accentuates some of these "breaking up" tones.
    The funny thing is, I had written off live micing an amp for recording because I was getting terrible sound to tape (disk). I then bought and returned all of these amps with line outs or direct recording outs because they sounded horrible. So, I decided today was the day I was going to give micing one more shot. Turns out I had a BAD mic cable and the AKG was in uni mode and facing the WRONG WAY :mad:
    So, I had to use a 3' mic cable I had that worked and setup took all but 5 minutes to dial in good tones. I'm sure with better mics, nice preamp, etc... you can get much better.

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

G,
    Nice clips - nice playing - nice amp. Remember when you first bought that mic and we set it up and tried a few tracks and all we were getting was room tone and it took both of a few seconds to realize it was backwards? I can't believe you did it again! And a bad mic cable to boot.:nono

I have a cool delay pedal if you want it. And I have mics and pres too. One stop shopping. I'll see you in a couple weeks and remember to bring the Gries - that little champ clone smokes. Makes me want to hunt down Scott Amish and get my BF vibrochamp back.

8. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Member

That Gries sound amazing- nice playing and thanks for the clips!

9. Capn Spanky

Capn Spanky Member

Finallly! Someone did some clips of the Gries 5. :D And really good ones, to boot! I've been wondering when someone would do this.

They did not dissapoint. That's a sweet sounding amp and some fine playing!

10. jeremym19

jeremym19 Member

Man that sounds great might be just what im looking for! I'll have to see if I can hear one in person.

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Excellent clips. Thanks for posting. Another GAS attack!