Gries 5 owners...help me justify this amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JinX78, May 13, 2015.

1. JinX78

JinX78 Member

I'm thinking about purchasing the gries 5 as an upgrade to my "home" amps. I'm all set on a bigger amp for gigs. Right now I own a fender champ 600 and a vox pathfinder 15r. I modded the 600 with a bypassable tone stack, new weber 8" and tubes. Fun little amp but still sounds kinda small. After a while you just feel like having something with more low end and a bigger sound, I hooked it up temporarily to a couple 12"s and hit closer to what I wanted, but because of the ohms mismatch I can't continue to do that without blowing the amp. The vox sounds pretty good too, but I know I can do better. It works, but I feel like I can get better cleans. So I'm looking at the gries 5 to fill this role. On paper it seems perfect, the 5 watts will be definitely be loud enough, the question is will the bigger cab and speaker sound bigger than the champ by a little, or by a mile? More bass response? Better cleans?

Has anyone compared the gries 5 to the amps mentioned above and off some insight? I have know way of trying before I buy so this is a last ditch effort to research before I just pull the trigger.

Thanks!

2. Timboguitar

Timboguitar Member

Give him a call. Don't own the amp, but have spoken at length with him. I would wholeheartedly recommend his work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JinX78

JinX78 Member

I actually did call him. Really nice dude and was very patient with my questions, I know I was kinda babblin there for a minute..lol. We spoke about the amp and he thinks there will be a nice enough difference between the champ 600 and the 5. we spoke about differences between the 5 and the 12, I've come to the conclusion that the 12 is not necessary as I don't need that much volume. I just want the fullness at lower volumes. I think the pathfinder offers this, but kinda lacks in the high end a little bit. It's sounds very warm, and adding treble also sounds like you are adding high mids in some way. Plus, and this may be all in my head, but can a solid state amp really pair well with dirt pedals and fuzz? I do spend some money on better quality pedals and always had that doubt in my mind about if I'm really getting the best sound from my dirt pedals with the pathfinder. Make any sense?

4. JinX78

JinX78 Member

Little update, just found a used one for a price I couldn't pass on. Will report back after I have some time with it. After doing some more research and reading threads here on TGP I think it's gonna be just the ticket!

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Congratulations!

Pictures required. Clips if you can.

6. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Congrats! I had one for a good while and thought it was an excellent home amp --- and sounded great with pedals. I also briefly owned the Champ 600, and I feel there's no real comparison in terms of bass response and overall tonal richness.

7. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

If you decide to gig just use a Bad Cat Unleash with the Gries 5 and you could play pretty much anywhere.

8. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I'm saving up right now to buy a 5. I love all of the tone shaping options on it...can't wait!

9. JinX78

JinX78 Member

Will do!

10. axeplayer

axeplayer Member

I bought a Gries 5 a few months ago from a forum member. I was looking for a low watt amp that could give me a clean to tweed type tones and with the 12" speaker it serves my needs. It takes pedals well and cranks pretty good.
    To my old ears the amp has a woody tone in the bass department. Still getting used to that characteristic as my previous amps were not like that. Some folks love it.
    The amp does have a full tone which I think it was designed to do and I love that in this amp.

11. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Yup..
    It's 'organic' as it gets for me....
    Love it