Gries, Dr. Z & Fuch.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by benbenben, May 14, 2008.

1. benbenben

benbenben Member

I love smallish amps. I've never found much reason or opportunity to crank the old Marshall JTM30 that i had, or the Blues Junior i currently have. I love that they are light however, there are times when I'm not convinced tone and feel wise.

I got my hands on a Fender '82 Concert and loved the tones coming out. Huge tones undoubtedly form the big amp and big combo. I've come across the Gries 5. Love the review, love the clips, cannot wait to get one in. I'm planning to get a head version in which I'm gonna get a 2nd hand cab from a friend for a 1 x 2" loaded with a Red Fang. I'm thinking of ordering in the Eminence Tonkerlite from gries as well to keep as I'm really liking the tones of the Dr. Z Maz-18. I'm wanting variety but flexibility and convenience which is why I'm thinking of having heads and a cab to accommodate them all.

What I'm scared of is if the amps don't complement each other? Is the Max-18 going to be a lot louder than my gries 5? The Fuch I'm thinking of is the lucky 7 which is believe is a marshally voiced amp?

How well would a Tonkerlite and Red Fang suit these three amps and will the amps complement each other?

Gries 5
    Fuch Lucky 7
    Dr. Z Maz-18

My ultimate plan is to have a 2 x 12" wired in stereo so i have two heads running at once.

2. benbenben

benbenben Member

Maybe a Carmen Ghia is a more appropriate matchup to the other two amps, but I've heard it's a bit of a one trick pony..

3. FFTT

FFTT Member

The new Gries 8 may be the better way to go since you can run it for cleans
    with the 6L6 or drop it down to a 5 with a 6V6.

Also check out the Reeves Custom 12 and 18.

And the Reinhardt 18

4. benbenben

benbenben Member

Not sure if he has a head version for that?

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

Yes the Gries 8 ( Sea Horse )
    and all those I mentioned come in a head only version.

6. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

I love the Gries 5 and it is surprisingly loud for 5 watts but great blackface cleans with a strong low end and cool tweedy overdrive. the new 8 watter also sounds cool...good master volume and nice to have the tone controls and they are effective. Dave Gries is a great guy who really stands behind his products. You can't find better customer service.

i also have and love the Maz Jr NR but it is definitely significantly louder than the Gries 5. good master volume and definitely versatile as you can make it fendery, voxy and marshally although for my money, not the best choice for a Marshally voiced amp. For that, I would definitely consider the Reinhardt 18 (can be gotten with power scaling for only a little more) or the Fargen Miniplex II (incredible versatility with the tube swapping options and the decades switch--and power scaling very effective there)...the Suhr Badger also sounds great and has some voxy chime thrown into the marshally mix, and so has its own thing going to my ears.

The Reinhardt 18 sounds amazing (just played one in person yesterday at the actual Reinhardt workshop) and you couldn't go wrong with that one. Bob Reinhardt is also a great guy who clearly stands behind his product as well.

haven't played a Fuchs but heard only great things about those amps as well...so many great amps around these days!

Eric

7. benbenben

benbenben Member

The Reinhardt looks awesome! But might be a bit too big for my liking. My main concern is wanting these heads to be small. I like how the gries 5 is quite tiny and small enough to fit perfectly on a 12" cab. Any suggestions for smallish vox-el84 type clones?

8. benbenben

benbenben Member

Oh, price is definitely a concern as well. Haha, Probably around the 1k mark.

9. FFTT

FFTT Member

You might be happy with the Suhr Badger 18 then through a 30 watt rated
    AlNiCo.
    The coolest AC15 upgrade I've seen is TGP member MOODS ( Mike Moody)
    and his Magic Brit.

You're talking a completely different tone from the Gries when you go to
    a pair of EL84's

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

Since you seem to like a total spectrum, you may be better off going
    for an Emery Sound Superbaby Head and get the matching cab later or have one built.

11. benbenben

benbenben Member

Well, my plan is to have an amp to cover the different tones from the spectrum of amps.

My Gries will be my blackface fender 6l6 clean which i loved from the fender concert, but I'm wanting somethign similiar in size and volume to match it in the area of the more el84, vox, brit, gritty side. I thought i was wanting a Dr. Z but i may be wrong?

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

The 2X EL84 amps from Reeves, Reinhardt, Bad Cat and Suhr,
    all do various degrees of those tones, some with better clean headroom to crunch or better OD tones depending on what you like.

The big tone variable will come from what speakers you select.

I think you'll be more than happy with the Gries 8 if that's the way you go.

13. neil99

neil99 Member

The Maz 18, sweet as it is, I would definitely not consider it a "low volume" amp. There was a GP review/shootout a while back and it was voted most likely to terminate your rental agreement.

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Reeves and Suhr 18 come with power scaling and Reinhardt 18 also offers it as an upgrade, so that should help in the neighbor friendly department.

15. benbenben

benbenben Member

The Reinhardt seems like its in the marshall vein? The Suhr is too pricey for me.. :S The reeves 6 seems like a prospect? How is that for a vox tone?

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Reeves 12 would get you closer, but again the speaker is pretty important.

17. benbenben

benbenben Member

Just realised the Reeves 12 is voiced like a plexi.. not really what im after.. anything lowish wattage, vox voiced?

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Top Hat 16 or the Gabriel Voxer may be a good way to go for that.

19. sae2111

sae2111 Member

The Ghia is anything but a one trick pony.

20. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

The Reinhardt comes as a small box head, set one of those down on his OS112 and you've got a real looker:AOK

I had a small box Ampzilla and the OS112 -gorgeous!

Frenzel has a very low priced vox derivative, comes as a chassis only so you could get whatever head box you wanted.

[​IMG]