Gries Seahorse - Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by himey77, Apr 3, 2011.

1. himey77

himey77 Member

With all of the love for the Gries 5 on this forum, I'm amazed that there is not a single topic dedicated to this amplifier.

There are a lot of recommendations for this amp, but not much real-world discussion.

Anyone have personal experience, clips, vids? Mr. Gries?

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

If it's built by Dave Gries, it's gonna be a good amp.

Adding reverb to a Gries 5 or boosting it a bit with a 6L6
    makes for a fine quality recording amp.

3. himey77

himey77 Member

FFTT,

You're validating my point. There is a lot of "it should be great" or "Gries Seahorse fits the bill", but nobody actually owns one.

I'm wondering, why?

4. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

Because they are not mass produced. They are all built by Dave himself. And it's a newer model. I also believe he is currently working more on the 15 at this time. Which btw is an awesome amp. Sure glad I took the chance on one based on specs and Dave's reputation.:D

5. himey77

himey77 Member

The Seahorse has been out for more than 2 years, which is ample time for gear hounds to sample and report their opinions of this product. As mentioned, the other Gries models are discussed quite a bit, whereas, the Searhorse has seemingly fallen through the cracks.

I'm thinking about becoming the guinea pig :knitting So, I'll tell you what.... I'll "volunteer" my services to extensively demo and write a thorough review of this amplifier for the forum if someone wants to send me one. I'll even buy the amp if its "fits the bill."

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  6. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

I'm constantly on the look out for a Gries on ebay. Just not there. Those who have them must be holding onto them and there must be a very good reason for that.

7. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

I used to own a Greis 5 that was loaded with a 6L6 and a switchable gain boost. I think it was similar to the Seahorse. It was an excellent amp; loud, rockin', and kickass. So if the Seahorse is similar, get one.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Why?

Because the Seahorse came out right before Dave stopped building for over a year, there were so few built it never really had a chance.

The whole idea behind it suggests success. Had Dave been able to continue I feel that model would have been huge by now.

I have a 35 and had the opportunity to play the 5 for a couple weeks before it was introduced. If Dave Gries built it, it's a great amp. If you're interested in the Seahorse contact him and have one built...you won't be sorry.

9. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

Here's something to consider. From the Gries website.

"All amplifiers are sold on a 3 day trial basis. Amps may be returned for a full refund, less shipping, in new condition. Contact us for more details."

10. himey77

himey77 Member

Well, I've had the Seahorse for quite some time now, and I couldn't be happier!!! :drool

It fulfills my desire for a blackface Twin/Super Reverb at low volume. The 5 watts can get quite loud, but the sweetspot is still very manageable at apartment levels.

Big thumbs up to Dave Gries, his customer service, ingenuity, and upper class workmanship (this amplifier not only sounds great, but it is beautiful as well).

I'll try to post some clips when I have a chance... but DO NOT HESITATE TO ORDER ONE!

11. autonomous

autonomous Member

Hey there old school man. I will be selling my Gries 15 watter. Send me a pm or i can give you more info here. nJohn

12. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Anyone else own one of these?

13. autonomous

autonomous Member

Just sent you a PM. John

14. a1briz

a1briz Silver Supporting Member

Reviving an old thread.

Still loving my Gries Seahorse. Who here still owns one?
    Mine below was converted to a Head. It's a bit on the taller side since it has a full-size Accutronics tank.

[​IMG]