Gries Twenty Tube Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JeffreyC, Jul 10, 2006.

1. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Ok, here's my story. My main amp right now is a Reeves (Hiwatt)Studio/Stage MKII head (20/40 watt switchable - I only use the 20 watts at home and for recording with my band) into Reeves 2X12 cab with fanes. I also sometimes run the head into an Avatar 4X12 with Celestion G12 H30's in addition to the 2X12. I love my setup, but it's not very portable as the Reeves 2X12 is very heavy and a pain to move. My band is currently/primarily a recording project, but we may do like one gig a month in the future.

SO....I've been in the market for a nice 1X12 20 watt combo that's easy to move (we do record in various locations), has great cleans, headroom, reverb, and loves pedals. I'm drawn to the black face deluxe reverb circuit and I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a Gries. Anyone have clips of one - even the 35 watt version? Advice for me? Thanks.

2. empty71

empty71 Member

I'll be pulling the trigger on a Gries 35 by the end of the week. I'm also very keen on sound clips on fuel the GAS:drool

3. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Snobs!! ;) :rotflmao :crazyguy I'm gonna order one tomorrow!! CLIPS??

[​IMG]

4. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Nobody owns a Gries on this forum?? I doubt that. I ordered one anyway, but I'd love to hear clips while I wait. :drool :drool

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Wow! That's a pretty small amp to hold 20 tubes! Where does he fit them all? :)

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

[​IMG]

Here's my 35. Nicest amp I've owned. I haven't had the pleasure of plugging into the 20 but I'm sure it's sweet.

The 35 will give you more headroom, if that's what you're looking for. You can get a nice blues crunch from either with the master volume.

The 35 is a 6L6 amp and the 20 runs 6V6's.

I've had mine since last fall and the honeymoon is still going.

7. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Well I didn't name it!! :FM

:moon

8. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

My twenty watt Gries is on the way!! Still no Gries clips out there??:(

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Congratulations on the 20! Sorry, no clips here.

10. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Well I guess I'll have to record and post some when I get it!!! :RoCkIn

11. empty71

empty71 Member

Cool:dude I'll be looking forward to your clips. Any idea when you'll receive yor amp? I sent Dave my payment for the Gries 35 yesterday but it'll take a while for the international bank draft to clear. You should receive your amp before me although I'd ordered first:jo :)

Incidentally, what "look" did you go for? I went with Blonde tolex and salt & pepper grill cloth. I understand Dave's got enough salt & pepper material for one more amp. He'll be using the gold grill cloth from now on.

Thanks to gkoelling for the "inspiration":drool

12. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

I should receive it on 7/19 :drool - I overnighted my money order! I went with the black and silver grill cloth as in the below pic. It should look cool next to my Reeves, which looks like this...although I have the studio stage not the custom 18.:D :BEER I plan to experiment with running them in stereo, but it'll be nice to have the combo for mobility/recording sessions.
    My Reeves 2X12 with Fanes is very heavy!!! :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. empty71

empty71 Member

Right on!!! I'm presuming you're getting the amp direct from Dave. Juniors has got what you'd ordered in stock as well.

I'll be expecting your sound clips soon;)

14. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Yep, direct from Dave. He's been an absolute pleasure to deal with.

15. empty71

empty71 Member

Hey Jeff,

Got the amp? Please share your thoughts and post sound clips:D

16. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

I just got it this evening. So far, I am very much enjoying it. Very nice clean tones and the reverb is better than any Fender I've ever heard! It seems to take pedals very well too - Skreddy Mayo, Keeley TS9, Keeley Comp, Mojo vibe, DD20, Moog Phaser, Keeley TR2 all sound fabulous. Also, when run in stereo with my Reeves both amps really compliment each other. I turned the amp all the way up and it sounded really good, but I'm not sure I like the Eminence Tonker - it's not broken in yet so that could be it. I've been thinking about purchasing some Celestion blues anyway and I bet a blue would sound incredible in that amp or in an ext cab. Great amp - need to go play it more, but so far it's exactly what I was looking for in a 1X12 combo! Thanks Gries!:dude

I'll try and get some clips up by tomorrow.

17. empty71

empty71 Member

Awesome Jeff :)

Did you find the Tonker too loud? Does it break up nicely or rather smoothly with your pedals? This is one of my concerns.

My amp's done but Dave's doing me a favor by fitting some speakers in a 2X12 cab a buddy of mine has ordered. The amp and cab will be shipped together to me in Singapore. I think Dav'es also waiting for the cheque to clear:D

18. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Cool man. I don't think the tonker is too loud. I'm just not sure if I like the way the speaker breaks up at high volume - if that's what I'm hearing. Then again, I'm not really used to much speaker breakup with the Fanes, which take just about anything you throw at them with ease. With my dirt pedals, it sounded great. I think I'll experiment tonight with running it through external cabs - different speakers - 2X12 with Fanes and/or 4X12 with G12H30's. It may very likely be just speaker break in too.

19. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Ok, after reading more about the tonker maybe I'm not hearing speaker break up at all. I'll have to listen a little more. The Gries is staying really clean almost all the way up with my strats (Kinman woodstocks) - I'm sure I'd get more crunch with buckers.

I think I'm just gasing for some alnico blues. Dave - any comments on how a blue might sound? Have you tried one in your amps?

20. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Hi Malcolm,

I just checked out your website - wow! Pretty cool man. You're making some beautiful instruments and I really like your philosophy etc.:)