Grill cloth questions...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by pickaguitar, Jul 28, 2006.

1. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I want/need to put a new grill cloth on my Marshall 1960a cab.

I've been informed that it's not that easy to install and the many people use a special jig to stretch it and attach it correctly. It staples in right?

Anyone do this and/or have simple directions that a grill novice like me could follow and successfully install?

I'd like to get a Marshall Salt & Pepper grill cloth...here's one I found at Mojo

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bin/mojotone/6000005.html
    [​IMG]

Will the piping be an issue or will I even have to mess with it during this?

Jason

2. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

I am building a cab and did the grill cloth a couple nights ago- going from memory of a site that had a little picture tutorial (had to be from memory, looked for the site again and couldn't find it)- anyway, this is what I did (my first time also, mind you):

first lay out the cloth over baffle- just get a layout of how it will look, fit...ect-

next you want an even edge to begin with (everything else will line up with this edge) I think I started with the top but Ithink you can start anywhere- get a straight line in your cloth and line it up on the edge of the baffle- I then stapled it onto the edge of the baffle (3/4 part, not the face)- thinking back, you could do this as well (might be easier)-
    you are goind to need another piece of board to finish the process anyway, something straight and preferably the same thickness and width as your baffle- take that piece, line up your straight line on it and stapple the cloth to it's face- put the two pieces of wood (baffle and scrap) back-to-back, pull the cloth over the edge and front of the baffle and THEN staple to the edge/end of the baffle (then all you're doing is pulling the cloth taught and stapling, the other piece of wood is keeping the straight line for you...a better way in hindsight-

I put staples diagonally along the end of the baffle (not the face) about 1 inch apart all the way down-

Now you have a straight edge to work with and esencially you want to do the same thing around the baffle- once one end is done, do the opposite side- with the baffle laying flat, take the piece of wood and lay it up against the baffle, give about a 1/2-3/4 inch space between the two and staple the cloth to the piece of wood, once stapled, bent the piece down toward the baffle so they are back-to-back or 90 degrees (just so you are stretching the cloth over the face of the baffle)- staple along the end as above-

the other two sides are a little trickier because there in no set edge yet, but the cloth shouldn't give that much anyway...same method- put taught and staple- same method on the last end--

I did not pull the cloth around and staple on the back because I wanted clear wood to glue to joint in the frame (how I built my cab- yours may be different) so I stapled on the ends of the baffle and when done I just dropped it in- I don't think it came out too bad for a first time and working from memory of a tutorial- here's a couple pics-

looking straight down top of cab:

[​IMG]

close-up of looking from side of cab (the little strech isn't noticable and you can only catch it if you follow the weave of the cloth from that close angle):

[​IMG]

3. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

yours will be easier too- you can see clear lines- mine is all black- trying to find a clear line in it was pretty difficult...I had to feel more than see what I was doing at the beginning-

4. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

It might be worth it to search around a little in previous threads, as this topic has been already been covered. Jim from Southbay Ampworks posted a fantastic how-to with close up pictures on one of the threads. IIRC, that post will answer your questions in scary detail. Good luck!

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

6. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

lol...that's it!- that's what I was doing from memory...of course, explained much better-

7. mt10

mt10 Member

I recommend getting a vise grip used for bending sheet metal or some other kind of plier or clamp that has a long flat bar on it. I did my first grill cloth stretching it by hand, if you go that route get ready for some serious hand cramps. Also using the bar type vise grip makes getting everything straight a little easier since you will be able to stretch more of the grill cloth uniformly at one time. Either way works through. A good staple gun makes all the difference too. I like the PowerShot staple gun.

On the left is a '64 Bassman I retolexed and regrilled, the one on the right is completely original '65.

[​IMG]

Good luck.