Grissom says the HX Stomp sounds more “digital” than M9?

TimH

Probably already mentioned - DG’s m9 is modded by JHV3 so it’s not really apples to apples.

wcfields

Supporting Member
Yes They should
helix-hd-87886.jpg
if you like the Helix amp modeling, I guess your set

I personally don't :)

An effects only unit like the M13 would be useful

mousepunk

Probably already mentioned - DG’s m9 is modded by JHV3 so it’s not really apples to apples.
I had both JHV3 and original pedal in the same time and compared them. They weren't sound any different. My M5 had all the mods including audio upgrade of course. But it is more reliable because of upgraded switches and power, and the volume pot mod made it much more useful than original one.

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
if you like the Helix amp modeling, I guess your set

I personally don't :)

An effects only unit like the M13 would be useful

Well, there’s of course the HX Effects, but if you want more footswitches, but not the full-blown Helix there’s always the LT. I don’t think there will be anything in between those two form factors. The Helix and LT are great for effects-only setups, though. The Helix has four mono loops, and with the MIDI capabilities, it’s almost like having a small loop switcher as well.

He's a great player.

I think he is objectively wrong about the Helix - but subjectivity is what drives guitarists, and has to; the search for musical identity means the subjective opinion has to be important to the individual.

He is obviously wrong; but right for himself and his playing. Which may be why he stated it as a personal opinion.

Still, major respect for his playing. [Tips hat and tugs forelock.]

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
it’s funny, he was worshipped on this forum a decade ago and now nobody knows him.

There are a lot of guys worshipped here who I would have no clue existed if I didn’t see them talked about here.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
it’s funny, he was worshipped on this forum a decade ago and now nobody knows him.

I never understood that honestly. He's a good player, but not among the most technically gifted. His tone fits what he does, but he plays things pretty safe and really never grabbed a hold of me. Really, it kinda baffles me why a guy like him would ever be singled out over contemporaries like Doyle Bramhall II who does the traditional thing way, way better or Oz Noy and Wayne Krantz who take the traditional things and turn them sideways and vomit them back at you.

Bucksfan70

In the market for a multi effect, Im a die hard analogman and hoping to replace my de,ay pedal ( which I don’t particularly like ) and add a fw more fx to my pedalboard ...mostly modulations and Im thinking the technology in those things should be plenty good now.

I was kinda leaning towards the HX Stomp but after watching this interview with David Grissom Im a little confused and David has me reconsider.

Im told the M9 fx are in the Hx stomp but are they identical or is there something different about the feel?I guess I could buy a used M9 for cheap but for one thing its a lot bigger and if theres one thing I know about electronics is that newer is usually better in the long run...Seems like the HX stomp would get me a lot more for the money.

what do you guys think? Does the M9 really sounds better?!?

nux mg300 has zero fakey type digital / software sounding amp or effects sounds. it has very realistic real tube amp tones. IMO it sounds much, MUCH better, in terms of amps modeling, than the hx stomp, the zoom, the boss gt or the mooer multi fx units.

ProfRhino

I never understood that honestly. He's a good player, but not among the most technically gifted. His tone fits what he does, but he plays things pretty safe and really never grabbed a hold of me. Really, it kinda baffles me why a guy like him would ever be singled out
ever tried to nail even one of his most (deceptively) simple parts - notes, groove, tone and all ? :nuts
how many of his thousands of studio- and sideman tracks for the super stars and also for lots of lesser known guys are you familiar with ?

Oz Noy and Wayne Krantz who take the traditional things and turn them sideways and vomit them back at you.
ok, guess you got him there. :anon
never heard David vomit at anybody - he might not be able to compete in that department. :(
ymmv,
Rhino

tammuz7000

I have the m9 and just got a pod go. I plugged my pedal board board with the m9 on into the send and return of the pod go . The pod go was plugged from main into the return of my Mesa 5:50 and I compared several effects. With my ears the same effects on the m9 and pod go sounded the same . Both sounded good. I am not sure if it’s because the m9 is in the loop of the pod go.

I’ve read many times that the helix effect just sound better but with the legacy effects I didn’t hear that. So I’m agreeing with Grissom. I dont have the jhs mods either.

mousepunk

Well, there’s of course the HX Effects, but if you want more footswitches, but not the full-blown Helix there’s always the LT. I don’t think there will be anything in between those two form factors. The Helix and LT are great for effects-only setups, though. The Helix has four mono loops, and with the MIDI capabilities, it’s almost like having a small loop switcher as well.
....and there comes HX Stomp XL :bumpbump

I’ve played the DL4, then the M9, then had the M5 on my board for 10 years. To my ears, the HX Stomp can sound the same like the M5 (of course, if you make the right settings; like input impedance etc). HX Stomp has a tiny bit more latency – I measured, it’s 1.55 ms vs. 1.2 ms on the M5. Latency doubles to 3.1 ms when you use the HX’s loop (covered in my blog: http://theguacamolexplosion.eu/the-line-6-m5-a-cool-universal-pedal.html). Still, not more latency than moving away 1 meter from your amp would add due to the natural speed of sound.

I really like some of the new HX algos, like Transistor Tape. Did a demo recently using exclusively the 5 new HX verb algos (only with addition of noise gate on one part) on the Stomp ... great verb algos IMHO, significantly better than those old Verbzilla/M5/M9/M13 ones that are also included (“legacy”) in the HX – check it out:

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
I never understood that honestly. He's a good player, but not among the most technically gifted. His tone fits what he does, but he plays things pretty safe and really never grabbed a hold of me. Really, it kinda baffles me why a guy like him would ever be singled out over contemporaries like Doyle Bramhall II who does the traditional thing way, way better or Oz Noy and Wayne Krantz who take the traditional things and turn them sideways and vomit them back at you.
Because Grissom has a distinct "Sound" and his tone is killer. IMO Its his unique use of droning open strings and sus voicings. He sounds like the offspring of Billy Gibbons and Pete townsend but raised in Nashville. He was also among the first guys to popularize playing country and steel guitar licks with a humbucker guitar into a cranked Marshall in the early 90's. I'm a huge fan of Grissom but DB II does nothing for me - don't get him at all. Love Oz and Wayne but they are a whole different scene. YMMV

Although I'm a huge fan of Grissom he's off on this one. I used the M9 for years. The HX FX which I had before the HX stomp is better in every way. That said my good buddy claims The HX FX and the stomp both suck tone in front of a real amp. I never noticed it on my HX FX and the HX stomp IS my amp so I wouldn't know.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom