Grodin

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by VSpaceBoy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

Anyone here playin' a GOdin (misspelled in subject DOH!) these days? I was playing was at the music store and it seemed like a pretty nice little guitar. Could be back up worthy.

2. webe123

webe123 Member

You mean GODIN? I never heard of a "grodin" before. Here is godins website: http://www.godinguitars.com/

The Godins are mostly canadian made and are EXCELLENT guitars...not just for backup either! They can hold their own against a lot of US made guitars as well.

3. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I've got a Godin Freeway Classic - it's a killer guitar. It's definitely more than backup-worthy.

Some folks don't like the stock pups, but that's no big deal. You can find Freeways on the 'bay for under $400, so you can put in the pups of your choice and still have less than $800 in the guitar.

Quality and workmanship is very good. The parts are made in Canada and then the guitars are assembled in the US.

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I'm <<this close>> to buying a Godin, either an LG with P90s or an Exit 22. My local shop carries these and they are excellent.

5. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Go with the Exit 22. Very cool guitars!

6. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Love mine!!

This is my Flat 5, Artisan TC (with added middle pickup), and SDXT

Godin changes specs on their guitars like a newbie tight rope walker changes their shorts!

I removed the thick globs of polyurethane finish from the stock Flat 5 and refinished with thinner coats of lacquer, then upgraded the dull, stock Schaller pickups to Dimarzio Air Classic (neck) Neck (clip) and Air Norton (bridge). Both GREATLY improved the tone! I am not saying that the change to nitro alone did the trick, it was also the fact that I used a far thinner finish that allows the guitar to resonate MUCH better. Pickup combo map http://www.harryj.net/godin-tbl.gif

Here is a link to a page full of audio clips of this guitar http://www.harryj.net/Godin_Clips.htm

Although the TC has been also made with a solid maple body,this Artisan TC (tele shape) is made of what they called Limewood, (Euro name for basswood). It has a super thick carved maple top. The maple adds clarity to the warmer basswood yielding a SUPERB toneful guitar.
    The stock Schaller pickups were thin, and lifeless. The neck pup is now a custom made variation of Dimarzio's Multibucker. this one has the cruiser (P-90 meets Strat on steroids) closest to the fingerboard and the protrack (warmer PAF voice) next to it. (Dimarzio can make one for you if you like it)

This guitar has over 30 very usable pickup combos! I usually use about 5 of them live, but there is little I can't dial up in the studio :)

(overdriven clip) Neck (Cruiser, Split, Protrack, Both in Series)

Clean Clips of neck combo's:

Cruiser in the middle (stock TC has no middle) The bridge pup is the Air Zone. (clip) Bridge AirZone

Here is a link to a page full of clips of the TC http://www.harryj.net/GodinTeleClips.htm

The pickups that came stock with the SDXT were actually pretty nice, but they were only 2 conductor, and as you can see, I am one of those guys that uses wacky wiring options to get insane pickup combo options. The SDXT now has a Dimarzio Virtual PAF (neck) Virtual HOT PAF (bridge) and reverse wound DP170 in the middle. The Virtual PAF's kick butt!

(I will be adding clips of the SDXT to my site soon)

Tons of audio clips, pics, and insane wiring diagrams on my site

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

Awesome, thanks for the reply guys, doesn't sound like I can go wrong picking one up.
    Harry those clips sounded great, thanks for the info!!:JAM

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Here's my LGX-SA with replacement Z90s. A totally killer instrument, plays and sounds fantastic.

[​IMG]

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Looks great
    How's the weight on yours?

HJ