Grosh bent top custom - tell me everything.

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mprvise, Feb 21, 2006.

1. mprvise

mprvise Member

Good, bad, and ugly, I want to hear it all. Been planning a guitar purchase for quite some time now and the Grosh is at the top of my list. Anderson Cobra is still in the running, but the Grosh seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. If you have one or have played one, please post up! :cool:

2. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I own a grosh retroclassic and love it. I played a grosh bent top custom (mahogany/maple combo) while I was shopping for the guitar I eventually got, and though it was many years ago, I remember it being a very very nice guitar. I remember thinking it got a real balanced tone despite being made from mahogany; it wasn't as mid-heavy as I expected it to be.

3. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

I own a Grosh Bent Top Custom, a Retro Classic and a Set Neck. The first Grosh Guitar I bought was the Bent Top Custom.

Mine is a Mahogany/Quilt top. That combo is the thickest and warmest sounding, but is still nice and clear. You can get them with Alder and they will sound more strat like with a slight brightness due to the maple top.

If you want the guitar to sound strat like, get it with a pickguard (Mine is this way). Rear Routed gives a tighter and wooly mid range tonal color, due to the pickup cavity not being open. Don also does them Semi-Hollow. That would be my choice for doing one rear routed.

Go for it. The Bent Top Custom is still my number one, do it all, killer guitar after 10 years!

:JAM

4. dwes

dwes Member

I am a fan of all Grosh guitars. I have 5 at this time, but not a Bent Top Custom. I sincerely believe that Don makes some of the finest instruments out there. If you find one that appeals to you, give it a shot. You'll be very pleased that youd did.
    Good luck,
    Dave

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

Thanks to those who replied. I am now the extremely proud owner of Don Grosh #1383 - Bent Top Custom. The guitar is mahogany with a quilt top, birdseye neck with Brazilian board, 10" radius, large soft V shape, pearl pick guard, pull split for bridge and blend control. Those are the specs, but they can't really do this guitar justice. Plays like a dream and sounds fantanstic! I went looking for a new "#1" and I found it - it's been 14 years. I've now spent about 4 hours playing the guitar and it already has the second nature feeling.

I was able to play several guitars where I bought the Grosh. I was surprised that the Andersons I played didn't really do it for me. They played well enough, but there was just something missing - call it mojo or whatever. The closest contenders to the Grosh were a Melancon Custom Artist T and a Tyler Classic. Both of those were wonderful guitars but the Grosh just did "it" for me.

Thanks again for the input. I'm going to go play some more now...

6. fatback

fatback Member

Congrats. Time for a pic. ;)

7. mprvise

mprvise Member

:cool: Yeah, yeah, I know - post pics. I'd love to but I'm pretty low tech when it comes to that stuff - no digi cam. Perhaps I can get my friend (and fellow TGP member) Aaron Davis over here to take a pic or two and post them up.

In the mean time here's a pic from the store website (it will be gone soon):

[​IMG]

8. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I recognize the pic from the dealer's site. Beautiful.

9. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

I recognize that pic also - she's a beauty and I love those specs. Don makes an awesome soft V.

Congratulations and enjoy!

10. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

Wicked beautiful..... Congrats..... Crank it up!!

:RoCkIn