Grosh ElectraJet and Port City Pearl (low & med gain clips)

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
Hey my tgp peeps,

First of all, thanks for checking out these clips of my latest rig. I’ve been meaning to do some recordings of my grosh electra jet/port city pearl rig for a while now but had some of my recording gear in storage. I should be able to do a lot of gear demos now that everything is set up. These first 2 clips were done very quickly today. I basically positioned my audio technica 4033 mic about 6” away from my port city cab and hit record in pro tools.

I recently got the updated version of the port city pearl head and have been gigging with it steadily for the last few months. The pearl is a big, beautiful sounding 50 watt head and is packed with pure clean tone. Daniel created this amp for those of us who wanted a great sounding clean platform to use with our pedalboards and axe fx’s. My port city OS wave cab is loaded with a Jensen jet tornado neo speaker.

Now the technical stuff:

Clip 1: I had the volume rolled back to 5 on my grosh electra jet and went through all 5 pickup positions while playing similar types of things. The neck and middle pickups are the grosh vintage single coils and the bridge pickup is the 60’s fat single coil. The overdrive and delay are courtesy of my axe fx ultra. I used to have a barber small fry pedal and this patch on the axe fx almost nails it

Clip 2: Same patch on the axe fx but I had the volume cranked on the electra jet. Again I went through all 5 pickup positions. This is the first guitar that I’ve ever owned where ALL of the pickup positions sound amazing and useable (yes, even the middle pickup by itself).

Enjoy!

jack

clip 1: low gain

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/jbromusic/gr-4[/SOUNDCLOUD]

clip 2: medium gain

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/jbromusic/gr-5[/SOUNDCLOUD]

(next 2 clips were added on 5/30)

clip 3: medium gain, "voxy" sounds on the bridge pickup. again the patch is bone dry except for 2 stacked drive blocks. this is a riff from my old band aerovox and the song was called "mantra 333" (www.aerovoxmusic.com)

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/jbromusic/gr-1[/SOUNDCLOUD]

clip : lower gain, "voxy" sounds with stereo guitars. the guitar on the left is playing on the neck and middle position pickups and the guitar on the right is playing on the middle and bridge pickups. this is another riff from my old band aerovox and the song was called "shining star" (www.aerovoxmusic.com)

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/jbromusic/gro[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Last edited:

Long2Play

Gold Supporting Member
Jack you sound great man! Thanks for sharing those tones. Nice touch + a great rig = TONE!

:)

CyberFerret

Jack, oh dear, that was terrible sounding - I think you should just sell me that killer EJ and raise chickens instead...

NO! Just kidding, I loved those clips. Fantastic playing and sound you are getting there. I am really intrigued, as the neck/middle pickups still remind me of a Strat like sound, but the bridge pickup is a whole different beast altogether. Almost reminds me of a P-90 style sound.

Looking forward to the high gain & clean clips...

Oh, and if you ever get sick of that Electrajet, you know where to PM me.. :D

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
hey thanks guys!

cyber- i'm actually thinking about raising chickens! haha! i literally did those clips in 5 minutes today and was kind of worried after hearing them back. i'm going to do a few more this weekend and hopefully they will be better. yeah, that bridge pickup is a killer for sure. it is the grosh fat 60's pickup. i was originally going to get all vintage 60's in my EJ and then brent johnson at grosh thought that i might like their split set. he was correct. :) i don't think i'm going to get sick of this EJ anytime soon.

stout-hearted

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing these clips. The playing is great and all the way the info' pops up on the screen is a real plus.

I've got to order a set of Grosh Fat 60's for my older Retro Classic.

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing these clips. The playing is great and all the way the info' pops up on the screen is a real plus.

I've got to order a set of Grosh Fat 60's for my older Retro Classic.
thanks for checking out the clips stout! do you have the vintage 60's in your RC now?

stout-hearted

Gold Supporting Member
thanks for checking out the clips stout! do you have the vintage 60's in your RC now?
No, in fact the RC hasn't arrived yet. I just bought it from another member and it has a set of Fralins in it. I've owned three other Grosh guitars with Fralins and they were great, but the clips I've heard of Don's pickups are a cut above.

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
No, in fact the RC hasn't arrived yet. I just bought it from another member and it has a set of Fralins in it. I've owned three other Grosh guitars with Fralins and they were great, but the clips I've heard of Don's pickups are a cut above.
ah, ok! yeah, i've tried the fralins in an older RC and in my friends' strat and they did sound really good until we compared them to the split set in my EJ. there's something really special about don's pickups. good luck with your new axe!

Joe Gamble

Too cool JB. You always sound great. It's funny how familiar the clips sound... maybe it's because we play the same geetar with the same pickups! Ha!

Your rig looks like a mini power plant-o-tones. Nice and compact but capable of anything. Do you have any other amps left or is that THE JB rig?

Any plans for doing another recording project anytime soon? Current was a killer record man...

strattitude

Great tone and playing!

I have the Vintage 60's in my RC, and I think I'd like the Fat 60s bridge pup, as I do like a fatter bridge pup, not that the vintage 60s bridge doesnt sound great , it does, but sometimes I wouldn't mind a little more meat!

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
Great tone and playing!

I have the Vintage 60's in my RC, and I think I'd like the Fat 60s bridge pup, as I do like a fatter bridge pup, not that the vintage 60s bridge doesnt sound great , it does, but sometimes I wouldn't mind a little more meat!
thanks a lot andreas! i think you'll be really happy with the fat 60's in the bridge. it will definitely give you more meat but still remains balanced with the other 2 pickups.

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
Too cool JB. You always sound great. It's funny how familiar the clips sound... maybe it's because we play the same geetar with the same pickups! Ha!

Your rig looks like a mini power plant-o-tones. Nice and compact but capable of anything. Do you have any other amps left or is that THE JB rig?

Any plans for doing another recording project anytime soon? Current was a killer record man...
thanks joe! you sound great too bro. i was checking out a few of your videos last night on youtube. smoking!

this rig is really a godsend. it's really small and portable without sacrificing tone and power. this is my main rig right now although i want to get a little tube combo for my smaller jazz restaurant gigs and sessions. i do have a roland cube 60 but that's just a practice amp for my apartment.

recordings... i just started playing in a 5 piece fusion band called human revolution and i'm also in another 5 piece jazz group with a killing trumpet player named jonathan powell. both groups will be recording really soon. how about you?

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
just added 2 new "voxy" rhythm clips to the thread

Last edited:

moredirt

These are great clips, glad I bumped into the funk clips and ended up here.

Thanks for posting, a pleasure to listen to.

Trending Topics