Grosh Guitars-found a used one for $1600 any opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dennisd, Feb 17, 2008.

1. dennisd

dennisd Member

Is this a good deal?

Is this a good guitar?

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

3. dennisd

dennisd Member

Dear dkaplowitz:

First of all, thanks for the response to my original post in the other forum.

definition of spam:
    : unsolicited usually commercial e-mail sent to a large number of addresses

To be precise, I am not spamming. If you are asking me "Why did you post almost the same topic on two seprate forums?" The answer is I forgot which forum I posted it to and was under the impression that I may have not hit the "post new topic button".

Back to the topic-have you played a Grosh guitar? Are they better/same/not as good a value as a Fender/Suhr etc.?

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

If it was a mistake, cool. But you can delete this one and ask the same question in the other thread you started that people have taken the time to reply to. Think of how this forum would be if all the 10s of thousands of members started multiple threads asking the same exact thing.

5. strat222

strat222 Silver Supporting Member

dennisd:
    I just traded for a Grosh Retro Classic and also own 2 Fender Custom Shop Strats. I can tell you that the Grosh's have the same build quality as the Custom Shop, Suhr, Andersen etc. The biggest problem is resale value in my opinion. The guitar I traded for had a list price of $3800.00 and sold for $2799.00. The resale value is approx. $1800.00 on a good day. This is for a 2007 guitar in mint condition.

I think the main thing is to play the guitar and make an educated decision if it's worth it to you. Play a few other guitars if you can and I think you'll know. Grosh makes as good as guitar as anyone. The body on the Retro Classic is slightly smaller than a Fender Strat, but it's an awesome guitar to play. You won't be disappointed.

Good luck with your search!! Tim

6. rivaeast

rivaeast Member

Not to be difficult here but he is correct. According to Webster.com spam is defined as "unsolicited usually commercial e-mail sent to a large number of addresses"

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

Sorry if the definition I quoted above isn't in Websters yet, but "to spam out" is to spew redundant things in an annoying way in any medium (not strictly limited to email). You think spamming forums doesn't count b/c it's not email? You can also spam out bullets or bombs, like in online games and stuff. It's pretty common usage. Sorry you've not been online long enough to be aware of that common usage.

8. dennisd

dennisd Member

You know what. I put this post up with the hope of getting some more information about Grosh guitars and not to have an internet forum etiquette discussion. If a Mod directs me to delete one of these threads then I will do so.

If you do not have any guitar related comments then save all of your precious energies to police other forumites on their minor etiquette transgressions.

9. rastus

rastus Member

I'm old, I still think of processed smoked hog snouts and bits packed in grody jelly, packed in a blue and yellow can. Mmmm...that's good eatin'!

10. dennisd

dennisd Member

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the feedback. I was going to plug the guitar in and take it through it's paces. As for the resale value, I would be getting it used and I would actually be benefitting from the resale issue.

I was really impressed with the feel of the neck. It was small and fast. The neck was rosewood.

Dennis

11. rivaeast

rivaeast Member

You know I'm sorry too.

His comments are just the reason that I have left many a forum and am quickly becoming disillusioned with this one. It's real easy to live in the faceless world of the internet and rudeness becomes the norm instead of the exception. With that said I apologize again.

FWIW I've been around the internet for some time. I think the price you're looking at is a little high... and think with patience I'd look for a killer custom shop Fender instead.

12. XKnight

XKnight Member

If the guitar speaks to you and you don't think you'll turn around and sell it soon, then by all means buy it as long as it doesn't put you into debt.

If you're concerned about resale value, you're better off buying a used Custom Shop Fender.

13. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Hey, simple misunderstanding or bad day, who knows?
    I will say that for the most part, TGP members are a pretty good lot,
    and IME, that group includes dkaplowitz.

I hope you don't become disillusioned with TGP.
    I'm sure you've got a lot to contribute to other members,
    and that's what makes forums better.

dennisd,
    I agree with most of the other answers on the thread.
    I've owned 2 Grosh RC Strats, still have one, sold the other one simply because the neck was too thin for my tastes.
    Fit/finish/quality consistently first rate.
    Don Grosh's fretwork is second to none.
    And I think Grosh guitars consistently have the vintage feel/tone thing going on.

Like most other guitars from smaller builders, resale often isn't as high as the more popular brands.
    The benefit of course is, you can often find great deals on used ones.

Good luck on your search!

14. Kappy

Kappy Member

Thanks tonedaddy.

Dennis, I didn't need to jump down your throat like that. And for that I'm sorry. I just thought that your rapidly starting another thread asking the same thing was sending a message to the people that took the time to respond to the other thread that their answers weren't sufficient, which is why I took exception to the dupe. You did after all just continue to ask more questions in this thread, despite your having said you weren't sure the other thread was started. But I could have been a lot nicer about pointing it out, and for that I'm apologize.

Dave

15. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I have played several of them, and I wasn't overly impressed. It's a dang strat - a good one, but still just a strat.

I've owned vintage, custom shop, etc, etc, and strat guitars are so widely available that it's easy to find a good one without spending $1500-2000.

BTW: if a guitar speaks to you, see a psychiatrist. :)