Grosh or Melancon

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Miles Long, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

I currently am playing an alder Suhr standard. The clean tones are stellar. When overdriven, the alder seems to lack in bass defintion and low mid content. I like to hear the growl of the wound e when overdriven. The guitar is hsh configuration with a dsh in the bridge.

I was thinking a Grosh or Melancon t style guitar in maybe ash or mahoghany would have that low mid snap that i need. I would love to hear some clips of either of these fine guitars if ya got em. I am mainly interested in a hss or hsh configuration in a t shape. I need a guitar that has a great rock lead tone and a great vintage clean voice for funk jazz, etc.. So people, opinions and reviews of which and why please! Thanks.. :D

2. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

3. Roz

Roz Member

I currently have 2 Melancons, and have another one on order. Gerard's guitars are extremely well built, sound/look great, and are reasonably priced, especially when compared to other boutique guitars. Gerard is very accessible via email, will customize orders, and overall his guitars seem to give you a little something extra for the money. Highly recommended!

4. wynsmth

wynsmth Supporting Member

I've owned 2 Groshes & 1 Melancon. Both are very well made but I ended up selling both the Groshes. It really comes down to personal preferences. Some people swear by the Groshes, they just didn't do it for me. I would try to play at least one of each before you make a decision. I agree the Mels are a great value especially if you find one used.

5. Roach

Roach Member

I've had both Grosh and Melancon Teles...both great. I liked the Mel more after I dropped in Lollars. I actually like the 51 NOS better...just better sounding and more vintage. The rounder radius is not as friendly but worth it. Next to the Fender Custom Shop 51, Suhr was my favorite even more than the Mel.

Can't go wrong with any of them. The pickups make a whole lot of difference. My Melancon sounded so much nicer with Lollars vice the stock (I think) Rio Grandes.

6. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks for the replys. I was thinking that a hopped up t style Melancon would cover some ground. Maybe with Fralin singles and a splittable humbucker in the bridge.. Any one got one setup like that?

7. imissmj

imissmj Member

Disclaimer: I own 3 Melancons. However I would really email both builders since you really know what you're after and see what they have to say. Both of them have built a ton of guitars and will give you good feedback as to what they can do to help you get the tone in your head. If you're going to have a guitar built why not get it done just the way you want with input from the builders.

Best of luck.

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

January 2004, I had over 30 top end guitars. Tom Anderson, PRS, Hamer, etc..

I bought a Melancon. Fast forward, within a year I had another Melancon and today I have those two Melancon's and nothing else for electrics because nothing else compares or comes close.

It's almost March 2008. Still feel the same way. IMHO, YMMV.

9. funkle

funkle Member

I know what you mean. Suhrs have that great clear horn-like tone, which to me is perfection. But I could see how some might want some more beef. I've gotta think the Suhr pickups are big part of the equation. Have you considered a swap? Maybe a Lollar humbucker in the bridge?

10. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I really, really like Melancons. Hate to compare two builders against each other, though.

11. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

I'll trow a bit of a monkey wrench into this. I owned a Melancon and while it was a VERY nice guitar, I just like the traditional feel of the Grosh's (I have a Retro Classic and a Set Neck). Additionally, I have yet to find any builder with nicer fretwork than Don....truly spectacular.

You can't go wrong with either builder, but Don gets my vote of you're looking for a vintage-inspired guitar.

Good luck.

Eugene

12. Kappy

Kappy Member

Hey bro! Glad to hear you're still rockin' the Standard.

Curious to know why Grosh or Melancon are the only two choices. You've eliminated all the other boutiqe T-style builders? One of my longest owned guitars currently is a Melancon T. It's a cool guitar. I have no experience with Grosh Ts, but if it were up between an S style, the Grosh would be my choice (I've owned both the M & the G in that shape and currently have a keeper G).

Best of luck with your choice!

Dave

13. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

I freakin love the Standard. It just doesnt have much ass when driven. Maybe a pickup change would help. Im hearing mainly upper mid emphasis, kinda messy lows. I think maybe a mahoghany t-stye Mel with a maple neck might be nice.

14. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Your Mels are the reason for my gas, lol. I like your koa t-style quite a bit. Could you fill me in a bit about that one?

15. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Yeah, my standard has a dsh in the bridge. It has a lot of upper mids.

16. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, and yes I will.

It's a twin in every way to my other Melancon... except the "T" shape, fixed bridge, Koa headstock overlay, and neck size (my Custom Artist "S" is a +.40").

Koa over chambered Swamp Ash, +.20 oversized neck, S/S/H (WCR pickups (SR/SR/Goodwood )); Stellartone electronics. Fixed bridge. Koa headstock overlay with Paua Melancon logo", Koa fretmarker inlays, Koa humbucker pickup ring. Chrome hardware. Weighs about 6.5 lbs. Incredible sustain and rings like nothing else.

If it had a +.40 oversized neck, it'd give my Custom Artist "S" a run for #1.

Together these guitars do everything I could want and nothing else has been able to fit me better as a player, including guitars costing 4X as much that I've played.

Some newer pics of it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

18. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

I have a Melancon P-90 Artist that is one of my favorites. I have a Grosh Flat Top Custom with two P-90's that I like just about as much. I think the p'ups are Fralins. They are both fantastic guitars. The best advice you have received is to play both and see which fits you best.

Good luck!

19. angelo

angelo Member

Between the two you can't lose. I am Mel biased, but do have some info you may find worth while.

If I want swamp ash, for me it is Melancon hands down. At the source and knows how to use it.

If you do get a Mel, I feel that +.020 neck carve is closer to my '62 RI strat than the standard carve. +.040 is a nice neck with some girth, and +.060 is like a big ole tele club.

Hope this helps a bit.

20. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks Angelo!