Grosh or Suhr?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by katarzis, Aug 7, 2006.

1. katarzis

katarzis Member

wich do you prefer and why?

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Grosh because I tend to like clean tones and Vintage tones better, and I love the feel of Grosh's necks with the rolled edges. The feel is the main reason, as I betcha Suhr could do up a stellar guitar with nickel-silver instead of stainless steel frets and vintage sounding pickups, but that would be a special order. Both are great quality. I've owned both and would gladly own 'em again. A Grosh with Lollar pickups can be a tonal monster! I'll probably buy a used Grosh again sometime...

Now, if you are into overdriven sounds and/or hard rock/heavy metal, Suhr guiitars are great for that and might be a better choice over Grosh...

3. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Good luck on this one! You might as well have done a poll! Best answer is find a shop that has both, plug em in and see which feels and sounds best in your hands!!! To many variables....what kind of music do you do....what do you play through.....I could keep going....

4. onemind

onemind Member

I think that every time this question gets asked the responses tend to confirm that the Grosh guitars have much more of a vintage vibe....The necks are comfortable, the thin nitro finish is great and the Fralins are great. The Suhr's usually have a more modern feel and sound partly because of the Stainless frets.

5. Wedgie

Wedgie Member

Doesn't this question fit more in "The Small Company Luthier's" thread?

6. Kborg

Kborg Silver Supporting Member

Interesting observation and I hadn't thought about the comparison of clean vs overdriven tones. I have to agree as far as the fret work especially the rounding of the fret ends and the board... the Grosh is hard to top in that department. I personally prefer the Suhr guitars though. I play everything from clean to classic rock type high gain. Think EJ cleans to older ZZ top crunch. I get the tone even though I may butcher the songs. In fact I think that the ultinate tone in a Grosh would to me come from one equipped with the Suhr V54 pickups. I also feel that the Stainless frets are far superior in playability, they play like glass!! No more grinding noises coming from the frets when I am working the finger bends and vibrato. They have the Luthiers a little freaked out because fret dresses and replacement are a major source of income and that will diminish significantly if everyone starts using stainless frets. I have never had a guitar that had standard fret wire converted to stainless to make a true tonal comparison, but I don't hear a difference. In the end you picked, IMHO, the two finest makers of strat and tele style guitars out there today unless you get into the $5K+ range and in all honesty I have never gotten a chance to play one. I'm almost scared to try one because it was very hard for me to justify $2,800.00 for strat style guitar..... Until I played the Grosh and Suhrs. I really don't need to be Gassin for a $5K guitar that I have to wait 2 years to get.:BITCH

7. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

SS frets are not standard on a Suhr...they are an option. So, John does use nickel frets unless otherwise requested. He also does rolled edges on the fret board if you ask. He is currently do that to my latest build.
    Monte

8. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Actually, I think it is just the opposite. SS frets are standard on Suhrs. I've never seen a Suhr in a store that didn't have SS frets.

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

An important point, katarzis, is that you can find very good to great deals on USED Grosh and Suhr guitars right here in the Emporium as well as on ebay. No need to buy brand new unless you've got your heart set on buying new. I'm not sure how many stores in Israel have both Grosh and Suhr guitars, so it might be tough to try them out before buying. Buying used, it is easy to turn around and sell if you don't like something and get your $$$ back.

I'm sure you probably already know all that, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

10. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

Originally Posted by monte
    SS frets are not standard on a Suhr...they are an option. So, John does use nickel frets unless otherwise requested. He also does rolled edges on the fret board if you ask. He is currently do that to my latest build.
    Monte

I don't think its either. They make two lines of guitars, "Pro Series" and "Custom". If they all had SS, its because the shop's have orderd them that way. But I do agree most inventory seems to be SS.

11. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Missed that (location) ....:jo So much for going into a local boutique dealer!!

12. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

I think this is an overgeneralization due to the amount of options Suhr offers. Suhr's can be ordered with floyd's, hot pickups, alt wood combos, thin shredder necks. But get a Suhr with your basic alder or ash, V60lp's or T style pickups, and an even C huge neck, nickel frets, and the result is very vintage vibe (minus the nitro, which is important to some).

Ray

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Depends on where he is in Israel. There might be a store in Tel Aviv that has boutique guitars.

14. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Suhr charges $100 extra for stainless steel frets these days. So that would imply that regular frets are "standard."

15. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

16. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

can you actually go wrong with either one? I don't think so :)

17. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Word. Grosh or Suhr?....Kinda like asking...Mercedes or BMW?

18. Reeek

Reeek Member

Love my two Suhrs big time :) S and T . . .

19. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Both builders can nail old or modern tones - the person who specs out the guitar is a BIG factor on the tone. I've owned both and either stands head & shoulders over the other. The Suhr has the more vintage correct body shape and uses a conventional truss rod design and feels a bit slinkier than the Grosh. Suhr makes some of the best single coil pups of all time. The Grosh deals the old school vibe with his staggering nitro finish and every Grosh I've played possesses a giant acoustic tone {methinks that tone chamber/huge body route and special truss rod design is the primary factor}. Both are insanely talented guitar builders.

20. Blueser

Blueser Member

Though I prefer Grosh, I don't think you can go wrong either way.