Grosh P90 pickups?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by funkle, Oct 24, 2008.

1. funkle

funkle Member

I just bought a P90 Electrajet standard (in transit). I'm really excited, any-who, I'm curious about the Grosh pickups. I think they may be made by DiMarzio. How do they compare to the usual suspects (Fralin, Lollar etc) Anyone care to share?

I'm totally psyched to try them out, however, I do have a lonely set of Lollars waiting for a new guitar.

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I think Lollar makes an outstanding P90! So does Lindy Fralin {I have two guitars with Fralin P90's } but Grosh voices his guitars so damn well that I bet the way it arrives will slay out of the box.

3. Don Grosh

Don Grosh Member

Just wanted to say thanks for your purchase of our new ElectraJet Standard. The P-90's are our own hand wound pickups we are making ourselves. I hope you like the guitar and pickups!

Happy Playing!
    Don

4. funkle

funkle Member

Thanks for the response Don. Can you give us any insight on what you were going for with these pickups? Vintage or modern, etc.

5. Don Grosh

Don Grosh Member

Sure, these are wound to vintage specs, 7k neck 8k bridge. Hand scatter
    wound coils, alnico 5 mags, plain enamel wire. We will be posting
    pickup specs and models on our web site soon.

Thanks for asking,
    Don

6. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

Don's P-90's are incredible. I have a GORGEOUS Flat Top Custom with P-90's that is one of the sweetest guitars ever to exist on this planet!

Congrats to the OP on your new baby, and congrats to Mr Grosh for continuing to craft some of the finest guitars in the Cosmos!

And thanks to Mr Grosh for joining our forum. I am sure he will have much to contribute!

(Sorry for the semi-hijack!)

Peace.

7. arwhite

arwhite Member

funkle, did you get the ElectraJet yet? I'd love to hear what you think of it...

8. funkle

funkle Member

Yes! It came yesterday, a day earlier than scheduled. Obviously still very much in the honeymoon, but here's a "little" review. Love the neck. The fret ends, rolled edges, finish and profile are a work of art, although I do slightly prefer the M/L roundback shape, but the Med. that comes stock on the EJ standard is fine.

Balance is superb. The offset shape and contours make it super commfy, and reduces it's perceived size. Maybe one of the most comfortable guitars I've played. The satin finish and color combo (creme/white) are delicious.

The tone is great as you'd expect. Maybe its the way I have my rig set up, but this is not a raunchy or twangy guitar. Some P90 guitars just scream roots/punk rock, but this one is smoother, darker, more civilized. It has a very rich voice with a good low end foundation. Works very well for my fusiony stuff.

I really get the feeling that all the parts choices on this guitar are working together in harmony. The vintage style tramped steel tuners and bridge saddles, locked down bridge, pickups, tone circuit are all complimentary.

I could maybe see myself getting the strat version of this guitar as well.

9. arwhite

arwhite Member

Thanks for the review. I'd love to get a chance to play one of those sometime. How do you like the 12" fretboard radius? I tend to like a 10" radius which is what I have on my Grosh classic S and VT.

Don, what drove the decision to offer the ElectraJet Standard with the 12" radius?

Thanks,
    Allen

10. funkle

funkle Member

I like the flatter radii because bends are cleaner, and they just feel better to me. 12" is what I'm used to and it's my preference. I'd like to see what Don says as well, but I'd guess it is to make the guitar more universally acceptable, as 12" is kind of the default modern radius.

11. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

The ElectraJet is just a cool looking guitar. I would love to play one soon. Hats off to Don and crew for having something just a bit off the beaten path yet familiar!

12. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Would these be available as a retrofit for previous Grosh P90 equiped guitars? I have (since 1999) a Grosh Hollow T sparkle that has P90s and would be interested in using Grosh pickups rather than the Duncans that originally came with it.