Grosh RC Owners - Truss Rod Tool?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by RedLizard, Jan 13, 2006.

1. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

What are you Grosh RC owners using to adjust your truss rod? I didn't receive any kind of tool with mine and when I contacted Grosh they told me I could pick up something that would work down at Home Depot.

I didn't have any luck finding anything at HD that would work, so looking for suggestions on what to use and where to find it. A pic of your tool (get your mind out of the gutter) would be handy, too.

Thanks,

Scott

2. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

I've wondered the same thing - you sure can't just use a screwdriver as the picture seems to suggest. I've always removed the necks on mine to make any adustments.

3. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I tried using a flat head screwdriver, but no luck. Either my wrists are too limp and wimpy to get the torque I need or the truss rod is tighter than it should be. I can't say that my screwdriver really fit well either. Sure which it had an allen head.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

That photo is misleading! It never made any sense to me way Grosh would channel a large hole in the pickguard and make the truss rod super visible when the guitar's neck still needs to come off to adjust it.

5. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

I had the same experience. You can mar the front edge of the fingerboard too if you're not careful. I never felt comfortable using a regular flat head at an angle with much pressure. It doesn't make much sense, especially when you have the locking tuners on there - I waste a set of strings every time I have to make an adjustment. Was pleasantly surprised that the Suhr is in fact adjustable with his tool, and very easily so.

6. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I've also marred the edge of my pickup cover a little bit in trying to do it. Luckily, they are cheap. Like you, I prefer the Suhr approach and have had no problem using the allen wrench they supplied.

If you have to take it off to adjust, how do you know when you have it right? Do you adjust it, install it, put on a string or two, play with the saddles, then repeat until you get it right?

With the pickguard shaped the way it is, it's clearly meant to be adjusted easily, but damned if I can find the tool to do it. OK...I haven't done an exhaustive search, but sure didn't find anything at Home Depot.

7. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

You should remove the Neck from the Body before attempting to adjust the Truss Rod.
    Don Uses a Proprietery Dual Truss Rod Design. They are Much more Stable then the Traditional Truss Rod. You will find you will only need to adjust it far less often Most Fenders.

8. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I can live with that, but is there a more graceful way to adjust it than removing neck, adjusting it, finding out it's not just right and doing it again until it's just right? Burn through some strings that way.

If that's the way to do it, then why is the pickguard cut out so that you can access it? And why did they send me off to Home Depot?

I'm not knocking my guitar...it's my #1...I'm just wondering if everybody (or anybody) is smarter than me and found a better way?

9. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

I generally go with 1/4 turns with each adjustment - if another turn is necessary, I just leave the new set of strings on for a couple of weeks and try again.

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

As you would on any vintage or reissue Fender, ya gotta loosen the neck to slide it forward enough for complete access. But I've always been able to salvage my strings by just loosening them enough for the job. And while the truss rod access on my Grosh isn't as readily useable as some others, I like it's functional properties better, and the 'old school' measures I take to use it. It somehow enhances (in my mind, at least) the traditional vibe of Don's guitars.

11. larry1096

larry1096 Member

Wouldn't a right angle screwdriver (about $3 at Home Depot) solve both the access and torque problems?

Larry

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

No. Grosh uses a slotted truss adj. screw. It's difficult the line things up properly if the slot is at anything but near 12:00, and even if you could, you wouldn't be able to turn it effectively (and without fear of the dreaded slip) without contacting the pickguard. It's quite easy, and a more certain approach to loosen the strings and neck in order to gain direct access.

13. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I looked into the right angle screwdrivers, but the problem with them is that the length of shaft after the angle is way too long. You would need something with almost nothing after the angle, just a phillips or flat head end.

Sounds like the answer is loosen the strings, loosen neck, adjust and retighten everything.

Good to know that I'm not the village idiot. :p

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

If you are putting on a new set of strings don't clip them until you get the neck right. Makes them a lot easier to string on those locking tuners.

15. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

There is no need to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod on a Grosh. Use a small flat head screwdriver and slide the blade into the truss rod nut's slot sideways, at the angle the picture shows. It takes maybe 10 seconds at the most to do this adjustment. Do not touch the guard or the pickup cover with the screwdriver. Grosh uses a double acting rod that is really sensitive, so small adjustments make a difference. Have fun!

Peace

16. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

If that works for you, then you're the exception. The five of us above have not had that kind of luck. I have three RC' s and not one of them works with a screwdriver.

In trying to do it the way you suggest, I did find out that my screwdriver is made of harder metal than the end of the truss rod. :(

17. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

I work at a Grosh dealer and I have done several hundred truss rod adjustments the way I described. If you take the neck off again, try backing the truss rod nut all the way off and out, there should be a washer inside the cavity at the end of the rod. It the washer is missing, they can get hard to turn. If you have mangled the truss rod's nut and the washer is missing, contact Don and I'm sure he will send you out fresh ones. The adjustment really should work just like I described. I own three Grosh guitars myself. I hope that helps. Peace.