Grosh Retro Classic vs G&L Legacy shootout this weekend!!!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by AJ Love, May 18, 2005.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I traded a Suhr T for a Grosh Retro Classic that is supposed to be delivered tommorow... as it is, it looks like I can only currently afford to keep one guitar right now, so it will be an old fashioned shootout this weekend Grosh vs G&L

the winner will receive a brand new set of Lollar Special S pickups, and the loser will end up for sale

On the surface, I would think the smart $$$ would be on the Grosh, from everything I've heard they are killer guitars, and this one I've been told is a '96 with a nicely broken in smooth as silk neck...however this G&L is one of the nicest G&L Legacy guitars I've ever seen, also a '96, set-up impeccably, fantastic neck and awesome naturally acoustic/unplugged tone

Should be a fun weekend

2. abc

abc Guest

Can't wait to hear what the results of you shootout are...

Let us know...

Peace...

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

those 5 words we gear-heads love to see flashed across my screen just now:

"On FedEx vehicle for delivery"

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Believe it or not .. I like UPS .. FedEx has killed more of my gear then I care for ... but .. UPS has slowly started to catch up although some of it was bone head packing by shipper.
    FedEx so far has been the only company to break several items shipped to me that were EXTREMELY well packed!

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Oops besides that .. love to hear the results from the shoot out!

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

thanks r9, you really know how to brighten up a day! j/k:cool:

7. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

got the Grosh in this afternoon...first impressions:

wow...nice Strat......I'm afraid its not gonna be much of a contest between this and the G&L...feels and sounds like a really great old Fender from the 60's, but better (bigger radius, better craftsmanship)...the Lollar blonde pickups in it are pretty low output but sound great, I can only imagine how low out-put the "Low Output" ones are ;)

it'll take me a little bit to set it up just right for me, but its a keeper for sure... now I'm relatively new around here, so you guys don't know me all that well yet, but suffice it to say that, having been through 30 or so instruments in the last 5 years, for me to say this is a keeper is saying something. My friends will probably laugh at me and say "yeah right", but I can't imagine getting rid of this guitar

because its 9 years old and has been played a LOT, this neck has an incredible feel to it like a real Vintage strat...I can really see the advantage to Nitro finish in this regard

the G&L I have is one of the nicest G&L's I've played, but its really not fair to compare the 2

here's a pic of the Grosh

[​IMG]

8. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

another thought: this guitar is the first I've had (among many boutique and Fender Custom Shop instruments) that shows without a shadow of a doubt the weakness of my Fender Blues Jr amp tone-wise...I can only imagine how good this guitar will sound through a Bruno Cow-tipper or a Bad Cat

[​IMG]

9. dsigman

dsigman Gold Supporting Member

Even without the 9 years of being played in Grosh's are known for that incredible played in feel. I didn't think it would be much of a contest between a Grosh and a G&L though... :)

10. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Somehow I thought this was how it would turn out. :)

11. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I borrowed a friend's Carvin Vintage 16 for a while, and my grosh sounds excellent thru it. I realize it's not boutique, but for my uses, it might just turn out to be all I need. In comparing it with a blues jr, I've found that the carvin vintage 16 is not as "obnoxious" sounding, it's got a real nice sound to it, at a price comparable to the blues jr. on a side note, I wonder how my retroclassic would sound with "real" single coils in it, as I have the Dimarzio VV pickups in there....