Grosh routes

heady dude

So Ive got my eye on a one off RC grosh that has the traditional SSS route as opposed to the swimming pool route that Don typically uses. I was wondering just how different the tone/resonance will be from the typical RC. I know that Don started doing the swimming pool route for reason and Im just wondering if the SSS route will take away some of what makes his RCs so great.

bearbike137

I'm just wondering if the SSS route will take away some of what makes his RCs so great.
Yes.

I once talked with Don about this at length. He uses the "swimming pool" route NOT because it makes his life easier, but because it sounds better. He told me that if he truly believed the SSS route sounded better he would use it. He tested both and the "swimming pool" route won hands down. When I ordered my new Retro Classic I didn't even consider the SSS route -- why request an inferior sounding route? Let the master be the master...

donostia13

The swimming pool rout lends greatly to the light weight of each Grosh RC, probably to its acoustic resonance as well.

I'm not an expert on such matters, but I've wondered why the single coil rout is usually preferred by people for tone. Learning that Grosh goes the other way on this made me rethink things.

Last edited:

mep

Gold Supporting Member
I have wondered if the reason the swimming pool route sounds better is because the cavity and the pick-guard work together to create a semi-hollow body instrument.

I notice a definite resonance on my Grosh ElectraJet coming from the pick-guard.

Things that make you go Hmmmm....

keninsyr

My RC resonates like crazy and it has the swimming pool route. I have never had any Strat style guitar with the sss route do this. Its my only reference but I definitely prefer the Grosh. The guitar is incredibly alive.

cg

Gold Supporting Member
I would go with Don's std route. The RCs I've owned were all extremely resonant and alive.

heady dude

Thanks for the replies. Yea as much as I want one of these, Im going to let this one slide and wait for a routed out Rc to come along. Anyone planning on letting one go :D?

Trending Topics