Grosh Set Neck

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by keninsyr, Sep 2, 2008.

1. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Grosh Set Neck. I own 3 other Grosh's currently so I am familiar with his work. I've just never been comfortable with a Les Paul. Would love to hear from anyone who has had both and what they think.

2. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

I have two. One is for sale. The other one I'm keeping. The Set Neck is much different from a LP in feel and tone. More balanced on a strap, lighter, and better upper access. Larger body. Of course, the fretwork, fit and finish are amazing. Tone-wise, clearer and less muddy than a LP (but some say less of that sledgehammer power you get with a good, heavy LP). the Set Neck is chambered, so it has some vibrance and is more alive - almost like a semi-hollow. To me, this makes it more versatile in that it can cop jazzbox tones as well as modern rock, blues and fusion tones. A sort of overgeneralization would be a cross between a Tele, LP and 335.

To me, it makes a great alternative to a les paul for people who don't like les pauls but want something in the same genre (scale, nut, carved top, woods, humbuckers).

3. creakyknee

creakyknee Gold Supporting Member

I've had both and I much prefer the Grosh. All the comments Tom made about fit and finish are true - Grosh quality is uniformly outstanding in my experience. But what makes the Set Neck the better choice for me is that the Grosh has a clearer more articulate tone - very warm and full but with a clarity that I found lacking in the Pauls I've played. I'm not really going for a hard rock sound so this works for me. Plus the Set Neck just feels great in your hands!

BTW - mine is not chambered but still sounds great.

4. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

Not a whole lot new to add to what Tom and Creaky said, but... Mine is lightly chambered, so very solid-feeling. Balance when sitting is a big difference to me--LPs are way bottom-heavy, whereas the ST is perfectly balanced sitting or standing. Neck fit/finish is probably the best I've ever experienced, period--mine has 6100 stainless frets. My ST also has the wrap Pigtail bridge, which is a lot different as well. You say you've never been comfortable with a Les Paul--you might want to analyze why: weight, balance, upper fret access, tones? You can order a Set Neck a lot of different ways, or hang out and watch for a used one. You know Grosh, so you know the quality will be there. Anyway, good luck deciding!

5. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

You can't go wrong with a Grosh - as you already know.

This said, for my Lester needs, I went with a David Thomas McNaught Single Cut Jr. and I am very happy I did. A different animal, for sure, but fairly light, great wood and finish, Manlius pickups. A great all around guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

Thanks alot for the responses guys. That McNaught is beautiful. Your answers covered what I was looking for. I come from a Fender school so the LP has always felt uncomfortable to me is so many ways. Love the sound though so the Set Neck sounds like the perfect alternative. I am very familiar with the Grosh quality so its a no-brainer. I really appreciate the responses.

7. mep

mep Supporting Member

I am mainly a single coil sound guy, but I love my Grosh Set-neck. I was looking for a LP type guitar when I came across the Set Necks and Don made me a believer. In fact I practiced on my Set Neck this morning before coming to work and marveled again at how it feels and sounds.

It is balanced whether sitting or standing, the neck feels like an old friend and the sound is full, articulate and it is just a great guitar. I have had mine since for about 3 years and I still think that it is awesome, although for gigging most of the time I use my Grosh ElectraJet or Anderson Classic. I don't think that you can go wrong.

[​IMG]

8. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

what a beautiful guitar. Thanks for posting the pic :)

9. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Gorgeous!:drool

10. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

That is beatiful. Thanks for the feedback.

11. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I happen to get my PRS guitars serviced at one of Don's best dealers and I get the chance to share in the excitement almost weekly when Fed-Ex shows up with a box from Colorado. In fact I stole a box there today that had a gorgeous Aztec Gold ElectroJet in it. Don builds spectacular guitars and the Set Neck is by far my Favorite!!! Awesome sounding guitar that I've seen put many a sh*t eating grins on alot of happy customer's faces !! They have 4 in stock now.....and they all are KILLER !!!!!

http://www.asharpmusicco.com/electrics/grosh.html

12. emjee

emjee Member

The Grosh set neck is one of only few set neck guitars whose bdy shape I really like. Most of the other makers (who dont want their guitars to look like anyone else's) that design their own body outline just dont appeal to me. I think it's because (at least for me) the upper horn and the lower horn IMO should have some kind of visual symmetry to them. Whereas a lot of the newer set neck makers usually have a good looking treble horn, it's the upper horn that seems to be the one many builders have trouble deciding on how it should look.
    They dont want it to look like any other guitar, so they try to design their own outline and most of them (IMHO) just dont look "right". In addition to Grosh, of course I also like Baker's shape (I prefer the Santa Maria models shape (where there is a straight line that connects the upper and lower horn) over the Robben Ford shape), Schroeder, Gary Jacobs, Terwilliger. I saw a guitar made by a guy named "Kurt Wilson" here recently that really stood out for me. I think i'll start a new thread for different set neck body shapes...anyway..just my two pennies...

MG

13. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

I love my semi-hollow with P92 neck and Godwood A2 bridge. Very ergonomic. Sounds big and fat with sparkle on the top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Both Grosh Set Necks pictured here are just...gorgeous.

:drool

Period.

S.
    j

15. hodad

hodad Member

This one is killing my '96 R0, OUCH!:
    [​IMG]

It is so good it made me buy this one:
    [​IMG]

And yes, mojo, I still have it. The solid has a wonderful deep, deep tone my LP cannot seem to achieve. The semi goes from authentic jazz sounds to screaming gain with minimal feedback. Highly recommended!

16. mps1156

mps1156 Member

17. hodad

hodad Member

Really nice. Love the scuplted heel.

18. johnflynn

johnflynn Member

There is absolutely no question that the Set Neck is a far superior instrument. In every category the Set Neck will excel. Fit and finish are as good as it gets. Don has the best wood and ability to hand select and tone-tap the wood that should be used for an instrument of this caliber. Playability is also second to none. The fret work, the rounding of the neck into the fingerboard, and the assurance of a correct neck angle mean that it can be set up to your exact taste. Most importantly is tone. I do not want to diminish the tone of a good Les Paul. It has made history and for good reason but the Grosh will be able to deliver that type of power with far more resonance and dynamics. If you have a retro classic now you know how that compares to say a Fender Custom Shop. The Grosh simply is a better instrument. Comparing a new Gibson to a Grosh is not even fair. Gibson is simply not producing new guitars that are of acceptable quality on any consistent basis. I also own 3 Grosh guitars. I hope this helps.

19. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

Thank you for your input. I have 3 currently also but they are all bolt on Srat style.
    2 Bent Tops and an RC. You are correct, his quality is unsurpassed. Now I just have to get up the nerve to pull the trigger. You only live once!

20. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

The Set Neck is the most magical and balanced guitar of it's type available. It simply is a work of art. Tone, playability, execution, design and the entire package is a grand inspiration. The first moment I got to see the drawing before a finished guitar, I KNEW it was gonna killer. Go for it!!