Ground Loops & Hum Eliminator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kgmessier, Jun 7, 2006.

1. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Ebtech Hum Eliminator (or any other brand, for that matter)? I'm going to use one to resolve a ground loop issue in a two-amp configuration.

- Keith

2. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

You need to make sure that there's a buffer between your guitar and the Hum Eliminator. Otherwise the HE will raise heck with the taper of your guitar's volume pots: you'll get a very large volume loss as rotate the pot slightly less than full-on.

3. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

I had a Hum Eliminator, but I found that when using it with the Morley A/B switch for two amps, the combination wasn't that great. I ended up getting the Tonebone Switchbone. This costs more $$$, but the end result is far superior.

4. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

bump...Anyone else out there have experience with this baby?

5. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I've used both the little box and the 3-prong plug adaptor with mixed results. The difference between the two, for those who may not know, is the box is a 2-channel passive device that works with your guitar signal while the plug goes directly into the wall outlet. There is also an 8-channel rack mount version, but I have no experience with it.

It's been a while, but I remember the box working pretty well at eliminating hum, though it was something of a tone sucker. However, and this is just my preference, I'd rather work with less than optimal tone and no hum than great tone with constant obnoxious hum.

As for the 3-prong adaptor, I don't know why but it seems to either work real well or not at all, which I suspect may be due the electrical wiring involved as opposed to the device itself. Even though it just plugs into the wall, EbTech recommends not using it unless necessary.

Give one a try or see if you can snag a used one on eBay. If it works for you, good deal, but if not you can always resell it and recover most, if not all, of your investment.

Hope this helps ...:cool:

6. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Made the hum louder:messedup

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

A Lehle or Tonebone switcher may be a better solution.

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

The Hum Eliminator works great for my application, but not for what you are wanting. It's not made for a guitar input, as it automatically converts the signal to balanced type. Unbalanced IN balanced OUT. That won't work for your application. You need isolation things, like the other guys said, like a quality ABY, etc. BTW, it works great mating balanced line equipment with unbalanced guitar head loops, though there is a slight loss overall in signal. I don't notice the reduction too much because my (rack) stuff has the ability to output unity +5db. Because the Ebtech takes away the hum and hiss that I sometimes got linking balanced/unbalanced stuff, I'm able to tweak the output a little to compensate for the loss.

9. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

Interesting. I've read some reviews from guitarists stating that their using it for the exact purpose for which I intend to use it: going from a stereo delay or chorus pedal to two amps. They've taken one of the outputs from the delay unit and run it through the Ebtech then to the amp.

I am concerned about loss of tone. I didn't realize this would be a possible side effect of the unit. Then again, who can hear the tone when you've got serious buzz going on, right? :)

Thanks for the input, bro.

- Keith

10. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It helps if you describe your configuration up front. For a stereo effect going to two amps, you simply need to open the shield on one cable going from the effect output to one of the amps. That opens your ground loop with no loss of tone. You still want the other cables shielded. You could put a transformer coupled Lehle on one leg, or an isolated buffer but that's often overkill for your situation.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've used both the Tonebone transformer isolated switch and the hum eliminator. I guess the Tonebone just seems to work a little better in my application-it's specifically designed to preserve pickup loading when switching thru 2 different chains, while the Ebtech just isolates the two amps. BTW, neither completely eliminates hum, but they do improve it a lot.

12. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

I just got mine in the mail today and tried it out. It does exactly what I wanted it to do. Very pleased.

- Keith